Saturday, January 19, 2019

DLH Sunfrost Drifter officially!

I finally got the results of Drifter's dna! I sent the paperwork to AQHA just after we bought him in mid October. AQHA mailed me the dna package on December 5th (!!!!!) and I got it January 10th..... pulled hair and sent it in and and phoned for the results yesterday. Happy to report that he is 5 panel NN so the he gets to keep his boy bits and go into training as a stallion prospect!

He'd better listen to Beamer's advice!


I had him out at the hitching rail the other day trimming his front feet. He had a bit of a pout on about that!


He stomped his li'l back foot and even tried to nip me a few times- good thing I had my thick coat on! All that bad behaviour earned him boot camp training! On the schedule are going for walks with me , learning to stand square, leading and backing up with a soft feel, and when the weather is better, trailer loading and hauling. 
Most of the time he is pretty sweet though. 


I think the mares have spoiled him a bit, he is kind of everybody's darling and never gets in trouble. I watched him approaching the feeder between Belle and Mesa the other day, Belle gave him the pinned ears and mare glare, he just paused and then quietly sidled right in there without any repercussions. All the girls tolerate him, so when he had to actually be separated from them and have to do something on my agenda he was a bit put out! But he learns fast and will get used to the new routine quickly.

Meanwhile, there is this!


Some dancing going on in there!
So excited!

7 comments:

aurora said...

Lotsa different types of horsey action going on at your place. Cute that Drifter let you join him :)

lytha said...

Good that you got the results back, and I have to admit this is a huge issue with me, even though I would never breed a horse.

But I'm pissed off about genetic diseases that could be eliminated in one generation if everyone got on board.

Please tell me I'm wrong, cuz I hate to see those suffering babies.

"Just test your mare and go ahead with our carrier stud" seems like an excuse to make money.

Or?

The foals born with no chance to live, cuz of greed, it really bothers me. A healthy foal with no genetic illnesses has a hard enough time making it, I don't know how people manage it.

lytha said...

Oh, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm taking about CA in Arabian horses.

Shirley said...

No idea about CA, but in quarter horses there are 2 types of diseases- recessive, which means that a horse must have 2 copies of the gene for the disease to be present, and then there are dominant diseases, which means that with even 1 copy the horse will have symptoms of the disease.
Beamer carries 1 copy of the recessive gene HERDA, so I make sure all his mares are double negative for that gene. With responsible breeding practices, that disease will never be present although it is a genetic possibility based on 2 copies. Gussie carries one copy of GBED, which is the other recessive disease that quarter horses can carry. So she can never be bred to a horse that also carries a copy of GBED. Also, I won't breed her to Beamer again because the foal will have a 50% chance of carrying a copy og both recessive diseases, and so she will be a possible future mate for Drifter.
With awareness of genetics, breeders can manage their horses so that the disease is never present, unlike the dominant diseases.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Lots of excitement there :-D

Linda said...

Congratulations! It sounds like he is well on his way to the breeding life. Everything you say to describe him sounds exactly like Tumbleweed. T is also given wide latitude with the mares. He’s mostly with Foxy and he is starting to herd her a lot. He just can’t help himself. And that stomping the foot thing. He loves to pout and stomp, too. Babies are so dang fun!! I’ll be gelding the boy at the beginning of March.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love Belles belly:)