Monday, January 7, 2019

First ride of the year

This sure is the mildest January I've seen in years. We have no snow to speak of, just enough to pack down in wheel tracks and footpaths and make ice. I finally got around to my first ride of the year today; I think I will keep my goal at 100 rides again this year. I opted for a bareback ride on Beamer to start the year's riding off.
Starting out we kept off the ice,


and headed through the bush towards the river.


It was threatening to snow over to the west, the mountains were socked in and obviously snowing there. We made our way to the river, and just savored the sight and sound and the peacefulness of the flowing water.


Refreshing to my soul!
I spotted the remnants of some kid's fort, and imagined the fun they had building it and hiding out there.



We bushwacked our way back and just after I slid off my trusty steed, the snow started- just a small flurry though, not even enough to cover the bare ground.


I have been procrastinating trimming hoofs mainly because my own "hoof" was giving me major pain for a few days; I googled it and it was metatarsalgia. Fortunately it went away, but now I have no excuse, I have to spend time every day to get the horses done. Even if I only do a pair of feet a day, it will help.

Riding day 1

5 comments:

lytha said...

Hey, would you please take a look at my blog today and confirm the berries I tried to photograph, the ones you refer to, I think? My horse kept snatching them....so probably it's impossible for you to discern.

lytha in Germany

aurora said...

Glad your foot feels better. Foot pain is hard to ignore. Love that last photo of Beamer!!

gtyyup said...

We've not had snow...but it's cold and the wind is merciless! We're at a 20 F windchill right now...I just can't get myself to ride a horse in that and find any pleasure! Love that last pic!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Beamer looks good in snow! You have a good goal and I am certain you will make it!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Gorgeous shot! Happy New Year :-D