No longer a baby, Drifter is now at the age where it is possible for him to cover a mare. Even though his "boys" haven't dropped yet, it is still possible for him to impregnate a mare.... or a filly! And I sure don't want any catch colts. So he has been put into the foaling pen until I come up with a separate stallion pen. There is also a possibility that he will go to Alberta with Shayla, we are waiting on some options to gel for her. It would be really good for him if he could live with some geldings.
At least he has a shelter to himself now! The girls have come to check him out, but mostly they just ignore him in there. When it comes time to put Belle in the foaling pen at night, I will stick him in the adjoining pen, which is separated from the mares and I can electrify its wire.
He actually does chew on the jolly ball.
So pathetic!
If the mares pester him when they are in heat I will run a hot line on the mare side of the pen so they keep their distance.
5 comments:
I totally respect the wire mesh in the panels, after your experience. The other day Mag was banging on the gate, sticking his nose in there and I yelled at him Don't you dare try to put your head in there! It's not likely but my gosh, why is it even possible with these manufacturerd panels and gates?
he looks lonely:(
Are you going to keep him as a stallion?
Oh boys. He does need friends to play with :)
growing up is tough
Post a Comment