Thursday, February 21, 2019

Gussie's gotcha day (Tay too)

It was one year ago today that I headed to Alberta for the 5 hour drive to bring Gussie home. And I am so glad I did, it has been great having big Red back and having a horse I can trust when I'm trail riding.
This is her when she arrived here:

She didn't have much body mass although she wasn't thin, and she had vitiligo- pink skin on her lips that she never had before.
This is her now:


Lots of riding and the right kind of feed for her and she is back to her old self! I sure do enjoy this mare, she is such a character and yes she is a bit quirky but nothing I can't handle.
It was also my gotcha day for Tay, who has also greatly improved in the last year. She went from not looking you in the eye and chasing and gripping cats, to begging for luvins and being able to stand still while Thumper sniffs noses with her and rubs against her.

Yesterday we went for a short ride to pony Drifter.


We took turns ponying him, and he wasn't exactly a good boy! I had to get after him for thinking he could nip, and a couple of times he stopped and reared up. Good ole Gussie was so good, she just let me deal with him and didn't try to kick or jump around while I scolded him- but I think she thought she was in trouble too because she started jigging, so we just stopped and let everyone think about things and calm down and finished the ride with a more relaxed manner. Drifter just needs to get out more, it's kindergarten time for him.

Riding day 14

6 comments:

lytha said...

Wonderful! How did you solve the vitiligo?

Linda said...

Gussie was such a good addition back in your herd. Your riding has really taken off with her. I'm glad you got Drifter on tape--the last pony session with Tweed, he was nipping and rearing, too. It was quite a show, but I wasn't the one ponying him--my trainer was.

Shirley said...

Lytha, Gussie is allergic to alfalfa and that is what they were feeding her. I just feed straight grass and free choice Hoffman's Horse Minerals. She still has some pink but it is slowly going away. I think it's caused by a mineral imbalance.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Gussie is looking good and I hope you have her forever:) Good to hear that Tay has matured! :) Do you ever hear how Miss Tia is doing?

Shirley said...

Far Side- Thea is doing very well! She had 2 litters, not planned as she snuck in with the boys but all purebred registered border collies. She has turned into a really good ranch dog and was even used at a sheep trial to be the dog who stayed with the handler on horseback that keeps the sheep at the far end of the pasture at the beginning of the run. She is their main ranch dog for working with the cattle too.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So glad you have her back