The melt is on and mud season has arrived. Mornings are best for getting things done, while the ground is still frozen (got my corrals cleaned ) and afternoons are perfect for working colts and riding.
Went with Shayla to the big indoor arena and watched her ride Rose and Ice- Rose loved being back in the arena and it was nice to see her showing how broke she is; this is a horse Shayla has done all the training on, nice horse. Then Ice- what a good li'l 3 year old! Took everything in stride, never been in a big arena or be ridden with other horses working at the same time. She did really well. No silliness at all!
Drifter is getting worked every day and is coming along nicely. He does still test at times but it's getting pretty half-hearted. We try something new with him every time he is worked; in this case it was sacking him out with a stable sheet and asking him to move out while carrying it.
He is so much like Ice (same bloodlines). Doesn't get bothered much about new things; just checks them out and accepts them. His biggest reactions come from being surprised by the dogs running unexpectedly into his sightline.
Mesa got worked with the stable sheet too, she is quicker and more feely than Drifter. No problems wearing it and moving out with it, so she got a little extra work, dragging it off over her head as she may someday have to deal with that if she gets blanketed. It took a few tries to get her to stop her feet and stand while Shayla dragged it slowly off. This was where we stopped:
Yesterday we saddled up Beamer and Gussie, what a beautiful day for a ride! Beamer of course was very happy to get out and Shayla was pretty happy to ride him!
My photos turned out crappy, I have a setting on my camera app on my phone that says Pro and I had it on there- works for everything but bright sunlight apparently! So we'll go with Shayla's photos.

The snow is not very deep but it's heavy and wet as it melts so it was a bit of a workout for Beamer. But he sure wasn't complaining!

Gussie earned herself a little extra work on the way back; she started her little jig when I only wanted her to walk so she got to two track side to side as we went down the road, and one nice long back up session where I got to practice moving her hip over as she backed to keep her correct on a straight line. She walked after that!
When we got back and unsaddled, Thumper got to spend some time aboard his favourite horse.
He didn't want to get down so I left him up there as I turned Gussie back into her pen.
Belle update- she is finally starting to make bag! Slowly, but it is happening!
Riding day 22
3 comments:
That cat! I want him! How much for him!? I need a cuddle cat. What does Gussie think of him?
i don't think thumper is for sale :) but i do think you can get a cude cuddle bug kitty from your local shelter :)
You are so busy. I saw your pictures from today, and another beautiful ride. Drifter is doing very well with his circles. I hope we'll be there in a couple of days. Thumper and Gussie are amazing. You should make their friendship into a children's story!!
Post a Comment