Her bag is full, but hasn't turned to milk yet, it's still clear and sticky. But that can change in a heartbeat! C'mon baby we all want to meet you!
The smoke from the wildfires in northern Alberta (10,000 people evacuated in many small communities) had spread all the way down here, and I saw a map that showed it going all the way to the mid eastern US. I think Far Side said on Facebook that they were getting the smoke there. Well, yesterday we had a crackin' thunderstorm and heavy bouts of rain that cleared the air.
No smoke! And it's a beautiful day today.
As I sit in my trailer near the horse pens (foal watch) I get to observe the horse herd behaviour. I watched something interesting last night....
Sparkle and Eli have a thing going! Belle and Gussie seem to be quite ok with her taking over babysitting duties. And I say Gussie too because the other night at my midnight check, Belle and Sparkle were standing in the shelter and Eli was sleeping in the soft dirt about 20 feet away and Gussie was standing guard over him. Anyway, after I took this video, Eli and Sparkle were mutually grooming each other and then he was trying to nurse off her, and she seemed to be ok with that! Which is all good, because I want to try to get her pregnant at some point, and seeing that she is fond of babies is a good start to amping up her maternal instincts.
The water level in the river and the pond has gone down considerably. I had pics and a video of the pond but they all seem to have gotten lost in cyberspace when I downloaded them. The water in the pond was just over stirrup deep , my feet got a little wet. Gussie seems to enjoy wading through the water. Once the river is back to its summer normal it will be swimming time again on the hot days! I sure hope the fire season, which is already horrendous, doesn't escalate and be as bad as last year. Can't do much riding in the heavy smoke and darn sure not safe to trail ride in the bush. Can't we just have a good balance of sunshine and rain?
This last week was all about getting the horses feet trimmed. 3 down, 2 to go! Well, 1 and a half. I got Drifter's front feet done and I still need to do Sparkle. But I have to wait until I have someone to help hold those 2.
Riding day 42


5 comments:
The scientists call it Allomothering and it was my undergraduate project, working with monkeys who shared parenting. Woodland Park Zoo, Seattle, WA.
How sweet. Sounds like he's getting a lot of mothering. The smoke was bad here, too, but it has cleared off. What do they think started that fire?
Unofficially I think it was caused by lightning and fueled by dry conditions and gusty winds. Our storms here have cleared the air thank goodness!
Do you think you’re getting more fires than in the past? Around here, I think it’s poor forest management contributing to prolonged fires. Wyoming submitted s plan for controlled burning, more logging and removal of diseased trees, ...and quite a bit more. Very proactive to get the fuel level reduced.
yes we had smoke several days, it makes breathing very difficult for my husband. He has a special mask but still causes him problems. Sure hope it rains more in Alberta and puts those fires out. :)
Post a Comment