Monday, September 9, 2019

Booncat at 3 months


 Booncat is 3 months old now. I haven't done as much training on him as I have with Eli, partly because Eli needs to be ready to go to his new home next month and partly because I know he will be staying with me for a while- the smaller colts are harder to sell, nobody really wants them.



He has pretty much shed off his baby coat; his black stockings really show now. Wish his mane would come in better!



His personality is really developing well too; he is curious, friendly, helpful (!!!) and not in the least bit fearful, very self assured.

That is.... until he meets daddy....


He is getting easy to lead, although when he takes a notion that he doesn't want to do something he does let me know!  But overall he is getting easier to work with all the time. He even went into the barn today for the first time, his curiosity made it easy.



Getting him to eat foal ration is a work in progress. It always takes a while and he's no exception. He had a few bites of alfalfa pellets with mama yesterday so that will probably be the best way to get him going. I tried him sharing with Eli today but Eli was not impressed. He didn't seem to mind the cat jumping up.

I have had zero response to my ads for him so I guess he will be here for a couple of years. I don't try to market yearlings, there is no sense as everyone wants to pay weanling price until they are started under saddle. So I get to have some fun with this one!

3 comments:

M said...

The top two pictures are not visible for me. :(

Linda said...

I’m surprised he hasn’t had interest. He’s a good looking colt. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy raising him. 😀 I look forward to watching him grow up with you.

T.L. Merrybard said...

I like the little chunky ones, and he's cute as a bug!