I have been trying to get Booncat eating ration, but he is pretty uninterested. I tried soaking the alfalfa pellets and he takes a few slurps and loses interest. He's a funny boy, he likes things to be his idea. So I guess I will just have to be patient, he'll come around eventually but I bet it won't be until after his mama leaves.
Belle looked like she was dropping condition so I decided that Eli's 5 month birthday was the day to wean him. It's going well, they are across the fence from each other; I put Belle in the foaling pen and closed Drifter in the adjoining paddock. There is some whinnying but no stress to either mama or Eli.
Gussie is taking over babysitting duties
Drifter is getting some more education now too. I took him to the round pen and got him saddled and cinched up. Poor boy was getting eaten up by mosquitoes as I was working him, but despite that he was really good. Didn't mind at all being cinched up. I did a little bit of in hand circles, direction changes and flexing then had him carry the saddle back up the hill to the horse trailer. He was so good!
He stood well for unsaddling- note that he isn't tied, just for safety in case he had a moment when I unsaddled. But he just stood there like a good boy. I will probably just work him in his pen instead of the round pen, being barren ground there are less skeeters there.
I have had Booncat out every day, he is leading really well now and happily goes in and out of the trailer and the barn. He is such a curious boy!
He likes the cats....

and they tolerate his inquisitiveness. When he goes in the barn he has to check everything out....

he even went in the Hideout and checked out the table and chair. He is still not too sure about Beamer, but at least he didn't run away this time.
Beamer was being so cute and gentle!
Today was hay hauling day, it feels great to have all that hay in the barn! And I still have 8 more bales to pick up but I have to feed enough of these ones to make room for it. No more storing hay outside for me! My hay guy is storing it for me in his hay barn until I can pick it up.

3 comments:
"Who's that black horse yonder? Oh, Hi dad!" :D
So many boys! You have your work cutout for you! You’re doing better than I am. I’m still letting Foxy do all the work, with a little handling sprinkled in. So far, so good. Tweed is a highly confident, laid back soul. He’s chill! You’d already done most the work anyway.
The boys are keeping you busy! Drifter sure is a pretty color:0 Good to have your hay out of the weather!
Post a Comment