Once we got back I decided that Gussie had a little more work to do, so it was time to pony Booncat around the yard.
Well, at least, that was the plan....

Apparently, Booncat has a bit of a stubborn streak! He wasn't about to move and though he be but little he be strong!
The trick was to make him circle by bringing Gussie around him; around and around and then line out.... rinse and repeat.... he'd come a little ways and then it was Nuh-uh again.
Gussie is so good for this, When she feels that he stops and hits the end of the rope it locks my position in the saddle and she stops and waits to see what I want her to do next- circle, back up, or pull. She can pull him but I would rather he moved his feet willingly hence all the circling. He always does better if he thinks it was his idea!
After we were done he earned his li'l self some time standing tied at the hitching rail to think about things. He's actually standing tied really well now.

He didn't fuss or pull, just stood there quietly mulling things over.

Once I get him ponying better- I think maybe 2 more sessions should do it- I will have some fun taking him through the bush and down to the river.
Oh- and I may have a solution to my saddle fit problem. I'll be checking it out with more rides this week before I post about it.
Riding day 65
4 comments:
he sure is a cute little guy
Silly Booncat ;-).
Funny! He is stubborn! Tweed is more of a prankster and makes ponying a challenge in different ways. The weather has been absolutely beautiful down here.
Silly boy. Gussie is great! You too Shirley!
Post a Comment