I have taken to blanketing Beamer at night to keep his old bones warm and I think he appreciates it.
I found something interesting in my essential oils book:
so I started using it on his knee mixed with sticky bud oil a couple of times a day. He seems to be moving better; combined with the Streamz bands and the camelina oil (2 oz. a day) I think I am doing all I can to make him comfortable as he can be with a big knotty knee.
Drifter is doing well, I work him a couple of times a week for about 20 to 30 minutes which is plenty for a long yearling.
I also took the longe line off and free longed him for the first time; he did hunt the gate but it was easy to persuade him to just go on as if I had the line on. A few more times of this and I'll put the reins on and get him to give to the bit from the ground in preparation for ground driving.
Booncat is also making progress; I have ponied him 3 times now and he is better every time; I should be able to take him out of the pen for a ponying session soon.

I did lead him around the yard and he thoroughly enjoyed it, interested in everything and not spooky or silly at all - so ponying around the property should go well. I had him stand tied yesterday as I picked up all his feet and used the hoof pick on them; not too bad; I'd give him a C+. I do that every day before I put him in the foaling pen for his special feed. I also started adding camelina oil to his feed.
The search for a new saddle for Gussie goes on. I tried adding extra padding in the hollows of her shoulders but all it did was make the saddle tippy and probably added extra pressure to the back of the bars.
Riding day 64

4 comments:
You’re busy! Good work with Drifter! He’s being introduced to a lot. I’m still letting Tweed roam free with some occasional tying and grooming. I need to pony him out on the trails. It would make life easier for the trainer next summer. Have you tried Equioxx for Beamer. Day 3 with Cowboy and he was full of energy.
Hey, he does that J-thing with his tail, it's not just Arabians, yay!
It's just that I have not seen that physical reaction until I bought Mag, so I'm glad it's not just an Arabian thing.
Lytha- yes it looks odd when he does that!
Linda- No I won't be trying Equioxx, what I'm doing is working for him and he has so much calcification on that knee that I am not going to be riding him much if at all.
I need some of that oil! Hope it continues to work and give Beamer some relief!
Post a Comment