Friday, March 27, 2020

We go out Walkin'

Both Drifter and I need exercise, and yesterday was such a beautiful day that I opted to take the boy for a walk. He really enjoys these walks. First thing we encountered was the neighbours burning their brush pile; they are landscapers and had a big pile of ornamental cedar to burn so it was crackling and smoking and flaming quite fiercely . Drifter approached cautiously, we stopped and observed, proceeded, stopped and observed some more, etc. He wasn't scared, just cautious and interested.
Next we navigated through the bush, lots of twigs snapping and branches brushing against him- no worries. Up onto the dyke where the river was observed with interest, then on for a longer walk along the dyke. Remember those big cement barriers that Gussie is leery of?


The space to walk through them is quite narrow and I wasn't sure what he would think of it. But he handled it like a champ! For you Parelli fans that's the Squeeze Play game. Lots of horses are uncomfortable in tight spaces so it was nice to see how he handled it. 


Now that I have had him out and about away from the horse pens the next step is to pony him on some of my brush trails.

3 comments:

WendyFromNY said...

Such fun to come along on your walks. Drifter is coming along really nicely. Will you end up keeping him or selling? I guess a person can only take care of so many horses... I love the way you chuckle at them!

Shirley said...

Wendy- he's a keeper!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good boy Drifter! I enjoyed the video, the first time through he was in a hurry like he was expecting something to bite his butt...good that you took him through a couple of times. I think he trusts you and will follow you anywhere:)