As we head into the hot days of summer, Moondance is shedding out nicely. His black is coming in and I can't wait until all that baby coat is gone. I think next summer, after he sheds out his winter coat he will be much darker black.

He readily jumps in and out of the trailer now and is giving his feet nicely. Standing tied is still a work in progress.

I have a farrier coming today to trim all my horses, it's something I can no longer do myself, that torn shoulder is not healing well; I even had trouble saddling Gussie. Last time I had my niece do the saddling as she needed to learn how to.
She got a riding lesson in the round pen and did really well.
Gussie is so patient with kids. I actually had to get B to put my boots and spurs on as Gussie has way more whoa than go with inexperienced riders. We worked on steering mostly, getting her to turn on leg and neck rein instead of direct rein. Gussie is very light in the face when you ask with leg first, and that was a new concept with B, she picked up on it quickly though as she saw how much easier it was to turn. I did get on Gussie for a bit and remind her that she wasn't supposed to be lazy.
When I say "knees down" it's actually heels down, but when you push your knees down it lowers your heel and gives you a more secure seat; usually when a rider has heels up they are tipped forward a bit and if you have spurs on they will be on the horse's sides, whereas with the leg lengthened by pushing down from the knee you are more balanced and the spur will drop down and away from the horse.
After the lesson, she rode down to the pond and into the water.
The water level has dropped back to normal, and with the hot days here I just might have to see if I can find someone to ride with me to the river for some swimming.
Riding day 27


3 comments:
What fun for your niece! Are you going to get your shoulder fixed? I had a problem and PT helped me avoid surgery...I don't lift anything off to the side anymore.
Far Side- I tend to avoid doctors unless it is absolutely necessary. So far, it isn't
Awww, that Gussie!! So sorry about your shoulder Shirley. I feel your pain. I learned a lot about rotator cuffs after my horse accident, and also avoided surgery (to date) but it took 10 months of grueling PT ($$$). I am happy to share exercises with you, get a hold of me if interested. The big eye opener, was how varied rotator injuries/tears are and how those factors dictate the best type of healing. In my case, I saw two nationally well-known surgeons in the same practice that completely disagreed. They don't typically go the surgery route for long time wear & tear. With all that said, there is no easy answer. Truly hope you are able to sleep well & continue to enjoy things that make you happy! Even if with modifications. Looking forward to seeing this seasons swim pics!!
Post a Comment