Moondance made really good progress in the last few days. Ever since he loaded the first time, he decided that he just didn't wanna go in the trailer to eat thank you very much. So after days of setting his foot in and rewarding the slightest try, yesterday he did load- but we helped load that first foot several times before he went in.
Today.....
Well today, it was all his idea.
Success at last.
Once he was in and happily eating I groomed him, trying to scrub some of that baby coat off to reveal his black.
It's a work in progress!
I took Drifter to get his coggins test done in case he does find a buyer. He had to stand tied in the trailer for about an hour while we waited for the vet to get back from an emergency call. He did really good for quite a while, just standing quietly but like a typical teenager he got bored after a about 50 minutes and started pulling and twisting trying to turn around.
To no avail (Grin) Trailers are a good place for colts to learn to stand patiently- as long as they don't start kicking, which he did NOT do. If they set back they can't go too far, the wall is a big help there.
I need a patience pole! I'll have to find a suitable tree for Drifter to stand tied at. I think the hitching post isn't good for that as they can move around the end on it, but a good tree and tied so he can't reach the ground and get a leg over his rope may be in his near future.

3 comments:
Those rolling boxes are scary, even when they aren't moving. Moondance is going to look gorgeous(er) with his slick black shine on!
Moondance is going to be so handsome! Look at that neck already!
Yay Moondance!I love how you demonstrate the time that it takes to teach these babies. It doesn't happen overnight and that is okay.
Post a Comment