Sunday, July 12, 2020

Training and riding

Sure can't get any consistent weather lately. Couple days too hot and muggy, then a couple days of rain and thunderstorms... rinse and repeat....
I don't do a lot on the hot days unless I want to spend a few hours hiding in the house recuperating. I have managed to get Moondance out every day and work with him a bit. After that first day of loading in the trailer, he refused to load again. So I have been working on getting him to load his head and neck then one foot. Reward the slightest try. Today I kept putting his left foot in the trailer, give him a mouthful of kibble, try with the right foot, and so on. After many repetitions he finally loaded a foot himself and got to eat as much as he wanted while he had that foot loaded.


With colts it's often one step forward, three steps back until they figure out what you are asking of them and decide it isn't life threatening. But it always makes me laugh when I see that sully look on their face when they don't want to do something and how the light bulb goes on when they figure it out.
My sister is visiting for a few days, and she was helping me with Moondance, it was nice to have her help especially at the hitching rail as I had to rasp the front feet. 


After handling his feet so much for the trailer loading, he didn't mind too much getting his trim. Should be able to do the back feet without too much trouble in the next day or 2.
We also saddled Gussie and took turns riding her  as we went to the river to check out the water level in the swimming hole.

Umm, Thumper, can you move so we can throw the saddle up?


The water is still a little too high and swift for swimming, couple more weeks and it should be perfect. 
As I was riding, we had a tree come crashing down about 50 yards ahead of us- Gussie just stopped and raised her head and looked. Sure do love not having a spooky horse!


My sister (who rarely rides) rode her part way back. 


Sure was nice getting out. Gussie seems to be over the worst of her thrush, so now I can get more riding in. 

Riding day 25


5 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Very beautiful where you live. I used to have a small acreage in Iowa and I had 2 horses and rode daily even in winter but then I got RA and had to give up the farm and the horses etc. I am now in my 70's and retired and have the RA under control and could probably ride but now I can't afford it! LOL! It's nice to visit your blog and see your horses. I sure miss mine.

aurora said...

It is always nice to have an extra set of hands. Special memories with your sister, sharing your horses and beautiful trails!

M said...

very nice photos!

Linda said...

What a horse. Most would have been spooked pretty bad by a falling tree. She’s awesome!

Far Side of Fifty said...

How nice for you to have company! Yes we are doing the same weather as you...raining today:)