Thursday, April 8, 2021

Dandelions, Tess and Jayne updates.

Sure is feeling like spring now! Today we had big thunderheads build and got a bit of hail. Then the sun came out and  warmed everything up.
I found our first dandelions 😊


My garden beds are all prepared and ready, except for one that needs more dirt in it. I have taken our galvanized stock water tanks and turned them into raised beds as they are now full of pin holes and won't hold water. Can't wait to start planting! Actually, I can start peas now and a couple of others that like to have a cold start.

Took a trip to the big town and had a visit with J, who owns Kali,a daughter of Tess. It was nice to see the dogs together for what may be the last time.

See how Tess is leaning to the right? She is taking the weight off her left leg as she is very lame. The vet says she has either a bone infection or a bone tumour on her humerus bone, between her elbow and the point of her shoulder.. She has a hard swelling there that is very tender to touch. We have her on meds that seem to be helping. We are taking it day by day and praying for healing.


So far she is still a happy dog, and that makes me happy.

I have been keeping a close eye on Jayne, as I don't know her foaling history. Her 320 days, which is the length of gestation where a foal is deemed viable, is April 22; 2 weeks from now. She started getting a bag last week.


She normally has a rather large udder when it's dry but it has started filling. She also has thickened milk veins all along her belly. In a week or so I will start separating her from Beamer at night, into the foaling pen so that she will get used to having her own safe space for foaling.
Today I finally got a video of the baby bumping! 


I'm getting pretty excited to see this one! I am at a loss for a barn name for it/her though. I'll have to wait until after foaling I think.
Stay tuned for the foaling contests! Yes, plural, because Belle will be included.

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Poor Tess. Hope the meds help. Very exciting about Jayne. It won’t be long now I guess. I’m sure she can’t wait for it to be over and she can meet her little one.

aurora said...

Hope J is doing well. Wish she would come back to Blogger and interact with us. If you think of it next time, tell her I say hi :) So sweet that Tess got to visit with her daughter. No doubt she loved making the trip with you. Give your sweet happy girl a {hug} for me! Exciting Jayne update!! Fingers and toes crossed for a filly! You are going to love gardening in raised beds.

Linda said...

I’m sorry about Tess, but as long as she’s still happy, enjoy each moment and be thankful for it. I know you already do. I hope the meds work.

Love the baby movement!!

I’m heading down to see Little T today, so I’ll bring back photos and videos!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor Tess, my best pats to her and a hug for you, I know that old dogs can be a challenge...sure hope the meds help her.
Oh you will have a name for that Filly as soon as she is born! :)