Monday, October 18, 2021

The happy couple

 The day after Dally left, Jayne was moping. She wouldn't come greet me like she normally does, just stood off in a corner of her pen. So instead of waiting, I figured a sure way to get her over it was to put Beamer in with her. I stuck him in the adjacent (foaling) pen for a few hours, and since there was no drama, just turned him in with her. 

They are both happy to have company. 

He yelled at her a few times in his best Big Studly voice, but Jayne just ignored him. He is very respectful of her. One flick of an ear or swish of the tail and he backs off.


I was curious to see how they would do when it was time for their grain. 


This time it was Beamer who gave the "back off" signals, just little vocals. I ended up moving the pan out of the stall so Jayne didn't feel trapped. She did get her fair share. I will try that for a few days and if she isn't getting enough I will feed them separately. 

They seem to be happy enough to eat their hay together. 

I love old horses, they are so uncomplicated; at least these two are.

6 comments:

aurora said...

Awwwww, how sweet!!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I’m sure it’s hard for the mama horse to lose her little one after giving birth and taking care of her for so long. Good her and Beamer are keeping each other company.

cdncowgirl said...

Beamer is such a gentleman :)
And no, not all old horses are that uncomplicated lol Voodoo is still a bit dramatic with the others at times

threecollie said...

Beautiful! We finally have all our horses out in the same pen, and it is so peaceful.

Linda said...

I’m so happy they have each other. It is a sweet consolation for losing her baby. Beamer is such a gentleman. He’s a special baby daddy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

How polite is Beamer! So glad it all worked out with no drama:)