Tuesday, July 5, 2022

What's that smell?

 As some of you know I  had covid last August.  I recovered with the help of ivermectin although it took a while to get my strength back . One of the things about covid is that you can lose your sense of smell, which is what happened to me. Believe me that is really weird!   Anyway, I  seemed to have recovered my olfactory senses although not completely.  Like I  only got half the intensity. Then around  March this year things started  smelling funny . Like when you have something garlicy in the fridge and if stinks everything  up . Everything had a rancid smell . At first I thought it was something  going on with me because my sweat and my breath smelled like that but so did all the food and drinks even my coffee. 😟

Finally  I  googled it and discovered that its a fairly common side effect of covid  and its called Parosmia.  It is a result of damage to the  olfactory nerve. It can go away but it takes time. 

It does  seem to be slowly  improving.  Some things do smell normal now.  Like my horses!

To answer some questions  about Velvet; she was  never on my blog as I  had her before I  started blogging.  

She was born in 2000 and I  sold  her as a long yearling.  Her dam was one of my most quiet and reliable horses. So Velvet is 22 this year. 

I will be trying to get her in foal one more time to  try to preserve the bloodline; she has some wonderful old school blood on her sire's side. 

As far as  I know  she was ridden before becoming a broodmare; I  will he researching that with her previous  owner. 


She is sound, quiet and easy to handle . 



This is a photo of her mama back in the day. We were  getting  ready for a parade. She was a really nice horse.  I used her  for dragging calves to the branding fire and she was my go to horse for  giving little  kids rides. 

Anyway, I  leave you with  a photo from yesterday and hope the rains quit so we can get some summer!



4 comments:

aurora said...

Well that explains why I do not remember Velvet. She does have nice bloodlines! I am glad your sniffer is working again.

Linda said...

I hope you can continue her bloodline. That would be very special. Covid is so weird. It affects everyone differently. Many in my family have it right now. For one member, it’s his second time having it in one year. The last time was fall 21. Each of them has had far different symptoms and severity. I’m sick right now, too, but I’ve been tested several times for Covid and all have been negative. Well, you can smell horses, and that’s the important thing!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thanks for telling us about Velvet, hope you get her bread and a filly!
That is one nice herd of horses.
Glad you are getting your smell back!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

she looks lovely! I am going backwards through your posts so I was wondering about who Velvet was , looking forward to seeing more