Thursday, March 2, 2023

Lamb

 


March 1st the cold abated and it started to get warmer although not quite above freezing, but today, March 2nd what a beauty of a day!
I'm calling it in like a lamb. 


We had the warm west wind we call the Chinook wind. Chinook is a native word meaning snow-eater. Very appropriate!

I'm headed to  a tack store tomorrow to either consign my ranch saddle or trade it in on something lighter with wider bars for Ruby. 


All cleaned up and ready! Ideally I will be able to trade it straight across for a more suitable saddle but we shall see. Hard to believe this saddle is 43 years old. It should last another 100 years with proper care, it is so well made. I do love hand built saddles. 


Since I can't haul Ruby there to fit her for a saddle, I made a template with coat hangers. (Supervised by Velvet!) The store has a way of transcribing that info for saddle fit. Sure hope they have what I need!


7 comments:

aurora said...

I see you are also living closer to the clouds! They are touching the tree tops in the second photo ;) A Chinook wind, love the meaning. We had a warm sunny day yesterday, 52F. Today we were cloudy, just under 40F and it felt cold. Spring is trying to arrive. Slowly.

What a great idea to use wire hangers for fitting, if you have/can find them. Hope you have good luck saddle shopping!

TeresaA said...

We definitely got the lion. We had more snow last night than all the months before. That is a beautiful saddle. I’m sure someone will want it.

Shirley said...

Aurora- that's an optical illusion! Those clouds were actually many miles away. That is looking west, the direction the wind was coming from.

Linda said...

I am impressed with the hanger measures. So smart. Finding the right saddle for rider and horse is a daunting experience. What a beautiful day up your way. We had wind here, and today looks to be nice. I read that Sedona AZ got a huge dump of snow yesterday. I think it was 7”. Crazy!

aurora said...

It is a cool illusion!

I look forward to seeing powder puff cloud blue skies again, instead of overcast blahness.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We are getting the Chinook wind today:) That is an interesting way to measure for a saddle.

Val Ewing said...

That is a cool way of doing a saddle fitting!

March started out here pretty nice too. Now we have a winter storm coming in.
We don't have the freezing temperatures you do though.