Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Better.... with a caveat

 Monday we got thunderstormed out so I didn't get to work Ruby, but today I did. 

So- she was easy to catch. Followed me around and stood nicely for haltering. 

First thing I did was start where we left off; at the mounting block. It only took a couple of tries for her to stand in position without moving her hip away. (Not saddled.)

She was easy to saddle. I could see her have a fleeting thought about resistance when I put the saddle pad on her, but only a moment. Saddled her with zero issues. Took her into the round pen for bridling (which I do in case she pulls away.) She had one step back with her head up and then let me bridle her. 


All saddled up and ready to go! I did ask her to give to the rein before I stepped on, and she was so much better,. 

Well.... 

Off to the mounting block, outside of the round pen, stepped aboard and asked her to move out. Since she was doing everything right, I figured she would just head on out and we would have a nice ride. I believe in the power of positive thinking and having a purpose, visualizing what I expect etc. 

She had other things in mind. She got anxiety and was all over the place. I tried the old tried-and-true method of asking her to go, then when she turned back towards her comfort zone to make her work small circles, then loose rein and ask her to leave again. Rinse and repeat. Only we didn't even get the small circles. She was spazzing all over the place. Got her to stand still and stepped off. Discretion is the better part of valour. Sadly walked her over to the round pen to think about things. I was kind of at a loss as to how to proceed. 

Sitting on my mounting step, I had a little heart to heart talk with her, not mad, just sad and really wanting to have her just trust me and enjoy our journey together. 

She came close and hung her head in my lap. We had a peaceful moment there, so I decided that I would ride her in the round pen. She was agreeable to that. 


I rode her for about a half an hour, working on getting her to move her hip off my leg for the beginning of teaching a side pass, rode her through the poles in various combinations including backing through the L - after she knew what I wanted when I asked her to move her hip over to leg pressure. 

It's kind of like riding a half broke colt sometimes and at other time like riding an old seasoned trail horse. And really, that's pretty much what she is. I can teach her the finer points of understanding lateral movement as time goes on and work on getting her to use her body correctly, that will come with time. 

My upcoming plans include hauling her to Shayla's to get some help from her, and to see how she is riding away from home. I think once she's away from the farm here she will leave her emotional baggage behind. 

4 comments:

aurora said...

Wonderful (and quick) progress! Love that she leaned into you during your break. A sure sign that your sweet girl does want to connect with you. It does seems like Ruby has anxiety from her past.

Linda said...

Yeah, getting away from home will probably make it all a lot easier. And it’s good to have a new set of eyes. Once you get going away from home she might be better at home, too.

Far Side of Fifty said...

She looks a little sad:) Hope you get her figured out!

Val Ewing said...

I'm no expert at all, but I know when I ride my mules at home they are pure buttheads until I get them up the drive and down the road. Then they are all business. This even happens with my old standby who is 25 years old.
[I don't have the means to trailer them away from home]

I sure am looking forward to Ruby updates. [For some reason, your page kept timing me out for the past week so I couldn't read or comment!]