Sunday, July 16, 2023

Smoke n critters n flowers

 It has been a rather quiet week here. The land is once again heavy with smoke, and thunderstorms roll in every evening. 

Smoky sunset thunderheads

I didn't get anything done with Ruby this week, mostly it was just moving the horses to a certain pen next to the round pen, and putting Beamer in the round pen to be close to them to see when Andee comes into heat. So far, for the last 2 days she's more interested in him but not in full standing heat yet, which we know for  certain as we tried breeding today. She is supposed to have fairly subtle heats so it's a bit different trying to know when is the just right day for breeding. I'm sure she will let us know! They get about about 4 hours a day there. 

Another good thing about having Beamer close to them is that I can keep an eye on my mares to see if they come back in heat. So far, no! (Yay)

A family issue has kept most of my attention, and the Calgary Stampede on Cowboy Channel has kept my afternoons occupied. Happy that Canadians won 4 of the 6 events! 

My flowers are blooming now- at least, some of them. 

Lots of Calendula, which I harvest the flowers as they start to fade for making tea, and I may try a calendula salve. The rose is in it's second bloom and a dianthus that my sister gave me popped it's flowers today, turns out it it the Raspberry Parfait Dianthus. The Zinnias should be opening soon; it's so nice to have flowers!

The barn kittens are getting more adventurous and have started associating me with their breakfast; I call them when I bring the cat chow and they are getting it figured out that they don't need to hiss and run away. 



Not the greatest photos- cell phone in low light-  but here are 2 of them. They hang out together, and I think the other one sticks close to it's mama. 

Mutual grooming

Stay tuned for some more horse news in the near future! 

7 comments:

aurora said...

Wow your Calendula's are beautiful!! I have never grown them. Do they reseed? Love Dianthus! Some of mine make it through the winter.

Nice to have the horses closer. Sounds like Andee is going to be tricky to get bred.

Shirley said...

Aurora- I save the seeds and just resow them in the spring. These are from some I had in Creston. Just let a few of them go to seed in the fall and save the seeds. Such a medicinal plant.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

your flowers are beautiful! Andee, its okay to show your more "party girl side" She is such a sweet mare but a little silly and shy by times

threecollie said...

How wonderful that you get the Calgary Stampede! We went to Ontario to a cow auction on our honeymoon. The weather was awful so we lay around in our motel room watching the Stampede on TV and loved it! Your flowers are gorgeous! I never tried Calendula tea, but I may try it. I am using some of my herbs in tea and it is quite good. I have Lemon Balm, a number of different mints, and am growing lots of Hyssop this summer.

Shirley said...

Threecollie- Calendula and lemon balm mix is lovely tea! Also makes a good mix for your skin.

Far Side of Fifty said...

We have smoke some days and then it clears out and comes back in again. We limit time outside...which I hate doing but we have to do it. Your flowers are so cheerful!

thecrazysheeplady said...

I need to try some calendula here. Very pretty!