Monday, January 8, 2024

It's here....

 The first cold snap of winter has hit. I'm thankful that it waited until January! We were -28 C  (-18.5 F) overnight, and expect down to -41C overnight on Thursday night. 

We had a heavy fog the first day of the cold snap, it lasted the whole day and the next morning it was c-c-c-c-cold! But made for good frost photos. 



Chore time in the mornings is nippy! Brought out the big down work coat today. 


The mares and Beamer were a bit frosty but seemed to be plenty warm enough. I blanketed Belle yesterday as she doesn't move around as much as the other mares. I tried out Beamer's Weatherbeeta blanket on her and it fit better than the one I had on her earlier in the season. 


I can always use the other one on Beamer if needed; actually most of my blankets were his anyway! I don't think Ruby and Velvet will need blanketing- although maybe Velvet when we hit that -41. 

I have considered buying a Back on Track winter blanket for Belle- but the one I want is over $400... so maybe a liner to put under her regular blanket is a better idea. I do use Back on Track products for myself, in particular the "dog bed" which is just a pad of the right size for lying on and helps greatly with my bad back and even rolled up and put around my neck and shoulders when I get a headache. We also have their gloves, both dress style and the fleece fingerless ones. 

Hang in there Ruby, this too shall pass!

8 comments:

threecollie said...

Brrrr! I love your frost pics, but that is way too cold for my taste!

aurora said...

I love me some frosty photos!!

I used Back on Track hock boots on Koda, worked well for him. They have really good products.

Winter is arriving for us too. We are suppose to get snow this week, followed by a cold snap the following week. Not as cold as you guys, but predicted highs in single (F) digits. You can bet I will be wearing my long warm "Michelan Man" coat I bought for Alaska! Works wonder for bringing horses in/out.

Stay warm!!

M said...

way too cold.

Linda said...

Yikes!! It is hitting you before us, but it is coming our way this weekend. They originally said -21 F, but have since modified it. We had a trip planned to Houston this weekend, and now we're thinking about rescheduling.

I have been plotting our way through it, and I'm thinking I might bring them into the barn for the wind portion of the winter storm, but put them out for the cold portion (-6 is the lowest in the forecast now). I like the idea of them having each other for warmth, and the access to the round bale. Tonight, they're saying our snow will turn to rain, and that's actually worse than any of it.

TeresaA said...

That’s a really cold temperature. I’ve been wondering about the back on track gloves. Do they work to keep your hands warm? Last year when we hit -32 I put warm blanket on Carmen and left Quaid alone. His coat was really thick. Lots of hay and they were fine. But it only lasted a couple days.

Shirley said...

TeresaA- the gloves I have are summer dress gloves - I could probably use them inside winter mitts, haven't tried that. The fingerless gloves do help on cool days but with exposed fingertips aren't suitable for chores.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The frost makes some beautiful photos especially on Ruby!!

Val Ewing said...

I don't mind the cold as long as I am not operating machinery. Machinery doesn't like the bitter cold.

I have some wonderful cold weather gear too. I'll be wearing it this weekend.

I love the frost on the horses' coats. I imagine the mules will be wearing frosty faces this weekend too.

That first shot? Wow! Stunning!