'Nuff said. We are about 10 miles from there and were a couple degrees "warmer".
By the time I went out to do chores it was -38 here, at least no wind. I had fed everyone extra last night, so the horses (and barn cats) were just fine. The 2 pregnant mares don't hang out in their shelter so I feed them on the leeward side of the top barn, and I put a bale of straw down for them to lay on if they felt inclined (they weren't) . They had white mascara on this morning though, and heavy snow blankets.
Where does the ground stop and the horse begin?
During the day I saw Ruby keeping an eye on something going on south of us. There is a big hayfield, bordered by the now frozen river, and on the other side of that is a feed yard for cattle so I thought maybe she was listening to cows. (There were no coyotes to be seen. )
That is, until I did my evening chores and both mares really were on high alert.
What's out there, Ruby Roo?
Turns out, there were 3 moose making their way along the river banks to the hayfield . The mares gave them the hairy eyeball until they were well out of sight before they relaxed enough to eat their evening hay.
Tonight we are supposed to go down to -45Celcius, and 2 more days of this weather before it starts moving off and warming up, which of course will bring on the snow. One thing I have to watch our for is if today's sun melts the snow on the mares backs enough to make ice- if it does, I will have to scrape them off and blanket them.



8 comments:
Stupid cold here too. I feel like hibernating. Stay warm. The mares don't like Moose:)
Dear Lord! That's crazy cold! We are expecting-9 F tonight. My eyeballs were freezing today at 0. The horses sure can tolerate a lot of cold. One bright side is your snow on the ground. It looks like good footing. We have bare ground and ice. They are moving gingerly, but prefer to be outside with each other and the bales. This will pass.
Oh no, and it is headed this way. But no way are we getting that cold. I don’t know how you stand it. You are definitely tougher than I am.
Oh, my word, that is insanely cold! I am so sorry your are facing that. I am shivering in sympathy.
That is stupid (and dangerous) cold!! It will be hitting us this coming week. I love Winter, but not good for nothing bitter cold and ice.
Stay warm and hang in there!
That is brutal. Here we keep getting cold rain. Which is harder with horses. Not that I want -45 either. It’s mid-January and I’m over winter already.
It is bitter cold here in our area too after nearly 2 feet of snowfall this week. I let the gals out to the summer meadow and forest area so they can dig around and look for things.
The cold takes its toll on everything but it sounds like you are handling it very well.
Love the snow coats. Mine are wearing them also. They are also taking snow baths.
Our herd was on alert yesterday for a coyote hunter trying to call in coyotes. It was a terrible call he was using. It sounded like a strangled chainsaw instead of a fawn in trouble.
I felt bad for all animals out in the cold. Poor creatures!!😟
Post a Comment