Friday, February 9, 2024

Gussie arrives

 It was a beautiful sunny day to welcome Gussie back to the farm. Originally, I turned her out with the other three mares, as they all know one another and she used to hang out across the fence from Velvet and Ruby when she was here with her foal, so I thought there would be no issues. 


For a while, all was well. But when I went in the pen and visited Gussie, apparently Ruby took exception to that. She started charging Gussie- and took me by surprise- my bad-  I did get a glancing blow from a Ruby hoof as she backed up to Gussie to kick her. A  thigh bruise coming soon! I quickly haltered Gussie and put her in Belle's pen (Belle was with the other two mares).  Ruby charged the fence a few times- definitely wanting to let Gussie know that she was the boss. I stuck Belle in with Gussie for the night. 

Bff's reunited

They are quite content to be reunited. When the horse trailer was coming down the driveway, Gussie called out and oh my did Belle ever get excited! She hollered and hollered!

I think Ruby is claiming Velvet, and that she was upset when Velvet wanted to hang with Gussie. 

Once separated, Gussie was happy to have a safe spot to roll. 

Hahaha looks like she has her front end in a deep hole, but she's just laying down to roll. 


It will be interesting to see how the herd dynamics work out as I intend to have them all together again tomorrow. They have lots of room to get away from each other, and if Ruby gets too aggressive I may just separate her for a few days. But I think she will chill out once the herd balance gets sorted out. 

I'm really looking forward to riding  Gussie again! We do think she is pregnant, but she isn't due until mid August so I will have several months to ride, probably until mid June as I generally don't ride in their last 3 months gestation. 

7 comments:

aurora said...

Ouch on the bruise! That photo of Gussie does look like she stepped into a deep snowdrift. Your girl looks content to be home <3

M said...

i hope your leg isn't too injured! i love the color of Gussie's mane! the first photo shows it in sunlight. its very lovely!

threecollie said...

How did I miss all these posts! I try to read them all as I love reading about and seeing pictures of your horses. I think you are making a good choice with Ruby. If they don't click...

Linda said...

Just got home from a little vacation and I'm catching up. I agree about clicking, and rehoming. She will find the right person, and Gussie will be perfect for you.

Darn horses with their herd dynamics. I hope it goes well when you put them together again. We had that happen when we reintroduced Cowgirl to the herd after having been gone for only a month and a half. She was injured and then had to spend the rest of her pregnancy in her own stall and turnout. She seemed quite happy about that, almost like she knew she was pregnant and no longer needed any of them.

TeresaA said...

Ouch! I’m sorry you were kicked but glad it wasn’t more than a glance

Val Ewing said...

I've watched so many herd dynamics over the years, it certainly is interesting.
Ouch on getting kicked.
I've had color coordination in our pasture which is pretty funny.
The redheads hang out together except during haying time. Then the older one is boss.
Gussie's color is stunning!

Welcome home Gussie.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So happy for you that Gussie is home. Thank you for your kind words Shirley I appreciate them and you. I am not ready to blog again yet,I am emotionally exhausted. After some good sleep and a few days maybe I can keep keeping on.