Sunday, February 4, 2024

Gussie and Ruby

 Last time I visited Shayla, I took a couple photos of Gussie. 


Her filly, the lovely Huckleberry (Pie) was weaned in January and now Gussie is living in the mare herd. But not for long!

Hey, Gussie-
I have news for you!

Umm, Gussie? Hello?

Well, I guess she will find out soon enough. 

She is coming back to live with me! Hopefully this week. Big Red will be reunited with her bff, Belle.

Gussie is 21 this year, and I will be using her as my main riding horse. I have no plans to get any more foals from her- she should be carrying a Beamer baby for Shayla as she was bred last September. If so, I should be able to ride her up until July. I'm pretty happy to get her back! Yes she does have some issues, but I know her so well that it isn't really a problem. 

Of course, you are probably wondering, what about Ruby? Well, I have decided to put Ruby up for sale  after she foals. If she has a colt, I would let her go with the foal at side, but if it's a filly, not until weaning time. Much as I like Ruby, I just don't connect with her. She needs someone to give her more consistent riding than I can, whereas Gussie will be fine with the light riding that I do. I like horses that like people, and Ruby just tolerates people. Unless of course, food is involved!

 She can occasionally be helpful

I have done some research on her pedigree, and she is a nice cross between cutting blood on the sire's side, including a NCHA Derby champion, Docs Lynx, and on her bottom side several versatile show horse champions, so her foal should be pretty handy- and being a Beamer baby it will be good looking too! 
So those are the main changes happening here at Diamond Lazy H Quarter Horses this year. 

7 comments:

TeresaA said...

Life is too short to not ride the right horse. Ruby is lovely but if she’s not the right one it’s good to let her find her place. Gussie looks sweet.

Shirley said...

Teresa- I first bought Gussie as a weanling, and although I sold her twice I always got her back. We have had our arguments over the years, but she has always been a horse I love and some of my best rides have been on her.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Gussie is coming home to you, so happy for you.

M said...

excellent! my fave horse ever!! great thing about Gussie, you know her very well. plus, she's so sweet!!! im DELIGHTED that you're going to ride her! oh she's such a great and funny horse!!!! i just love her so much! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ

M said...

shirley isn't kidding when she says big red. Gussie is very tall! πŸ’œπŸ˜Š

aurora said...

Love Gussie & glad she is coming back to you!! I've always thought you were well matched. They all have some aversion. There is something to be said for knowing your ride well.

As for Ruby, I think she will sell quickly and know you will find her a good home. I assume the sale conditions of filly weaning vs colt by her side is value oriented.

Koda is also (very) food motivated, but he does like people. Especially our son.

4RRanch said...

I agree, ride the ones you like. Makes if more fun and less of a chore. Glad it is working out for you. I am hoping to get Draper bred so I don't have to worry about riding her.