Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Fooled

 Here I was, saying that August is surely the hottest month.... not so far. Rain, thunderstorms, and having to turn the furnace on for a bit to get rid of the damp chill in the morning, that's what we are getting. I'm sure it won't last, and it is welcome after the stifling heat- and the farmers who got their first crop off and were worried about being able to grow the second crop are getting the moisture they need- at least in this area. 

No shortage of grass here; those little specks are the horses. 

This field has a lot of reed grass in it, which is elbow high on me. Mostly the horses don't eat it. I guess it can be considered lowland, as the river borders this pasture. Those trees are on the far bank of the river. 

I walked the fenceline to check on any issues- the electric fence is all intact but in places completely hidden by grasses. I'm not too worried about it at this point as I know our horses won't go near it. Not even Theo, after that first little zap he got .


The tape goes up to the top of the hill and joins up with a barb wire fence that is also has one strand of electric, which the deer have managed to stretch out and it will need repair. But again, the horses stay off the fence. Once the rain stops, I will fix it. 

Finally found some wildflowers! This little bluebell and some yarrow. 

Also fooled I was, in presuming that Gussie was in foal because she hasn't come in heat in the last 11 months, and she was gaining weight. Hah. She came in a full heat on August 1st. And I am betting the weight gain was due in part to me feeding her like I would a pregnant mare, and her lack of exercise, even though she has to get out to graze on the 15 acres and walk all the way back in for water- not enough for that big girl. 

I'm not pregnant, I'm fat!

Gussie has never been this fat before, even when she was just on pasture and not being ridden before. I can only assume that at age 21, her body is undergoing age related changes. Time to put her back into work and see if we can get her in better shape. 


6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh no...no baby for Gussie. Do you suppose she was and lost the foal. 11 months is a long time to go...but like you said she is getting older:) Now she will think you are starving her!

Val Ewing said...

She is such a stunning horse in so many aspects. I love the lush looking pasture. I always wish we had more and more pasture but rocks and trees and weeds is what we have.

We had some cold weather come through and it was very welcome as I am sure it was for you too.

I know my old equine all respect the electric fence even if it isn't on. It has been their border for 20 years so they don't even bother checking it.

M said...

she's not fat. ❤️😊

TeresaA said...

Look at Gussie living her best life, lol.

Shirley said...

Yup she sure pulled one over on me!

Linda said...

What a shocker! Kind of sad that she’s not pregnant. Oh well, guess you’ll be riding her now. We’re having a decent August, too. Temperatures are normal: upper 80’s, low 90’s. The farmer’s around here seem to have plenty of hay for us this year.