Monday, December 30, 2024

Adios 2024

I have to say, this was not my best year. The best thing that happened, though, made up for a lot of it, and that was Theo. He was such a joy and a delight to work with, and he couldn't have gone to a better home. 

The loss of Beamer and Belle was topped off with the loss of Jayne, who was laid to rest for the same reason as Beamer and Belle- crippling arthritis and inability to maintain her body weight. Shiner was Jayne's last foal, and he went to a very good home. The lady who owns him is the one who started his brother Boe under saddle, and she was so delighted with him that she decided to buy Shiner for herself. Jayne was such a sweet mare, and she passed her personality on to her foals- although Shiner got a bit more pizazz from his sire, Shayla's stallion Rex (Majors Pistol). 
As most of you know, I got sick at the end of September with pneumonia , and it took me pretty much 3 months to get over it. I still am not back at full strength, but every week I am better. So autumn was pretty much a write off for me; not much activity for most of it although recently I managed a couple of short rides on Gussie. 


Gussie is such an expressive mare, she leaves no doubt as to what she is thinking. When she sees me coming with the bridle she gives me that disapproving look ; the lady does not like cold steel in her mouth in the winter, thank you very much! So I have been using the bosal on her, and she goes well in it. I will probably buy a nice light one for her, as she is so broke she doesn't need much, and the one I have  was meant for starting colts. 



The girls are wintering well! 

Theo's owner posted a photo of him on Fb with his pasture mate, a Warmblood filly. 


She is younger than him, but she will be a whole lot bigger! He is looking good. It's nice to get updates on him- his people love him. 

The loss of Beamer was huge for me this year. I knew it was coming, and it took me a year or more to finally make the call on him. He went downhill so  rapidly though from May to August that I knew it was finally time. Today when I was doing chores and went into his empty barn to get some salt for the mares, I could almost hear the echo of his whinny that he would give if he was there to see the mares come running over as I went in the barn. I miss his bright eyes and handsome face, peering out from his barn door, and his glossy self following me along the fenceline as I brought his feed out. I guess I am feeling a bit empty today, and I will be glad to welcome a new year, hopefully with less sadness. 



10 comments:

M said...

24 is a total write off for us. Broke my foot, lost my cat, another one came down with permanent bronchial issues, lost Moe, and two days before Christmas, we get very very sick. We lost alot this year. Frank was disheartened about being really ill on his holidays. so much so we both took the tree down on the 24th. just nothing to feel good about. :(

M said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TeresaA said...

Losing Beamer was a huge loss. He was a grand horse. There was a lot of good too but I feel for you.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I think you will miss Beamer forever, he was so special. I am glad you are feeling better...we understand how long it takes to recover from an illness and it is not easy. I wish you a happy healthy New Year!

aurora said...

Sorry to hear about Jayne. It is hard to feel chipper after such profound loss, compounded with extended illness. In my opinion, grief never fully goes away. It just changes, as we learn to live with it and without our love(s) in our lives.

I'm glad you receive regular updates on off spring and are enjoying Gussie, even if she is less than thrilled sometimes. Sending brighter 2025 wishes and a {hug} your way!

4RRanch said...

I too am hoping for a healthier new year. Glad you are recovering from your bout with pneumonia and have been able to ride some. It will still be awhile before I can even consider it. Loved your tree and special ornaments! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

threecollie said...

I am sorry for your year of losses and ill health. So hard to weather all these things. I hope the coming year brings better things...

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yeah...

Linda said...

Another loss. That sounds like my 2024. Loss after loss after loss. It’s interesting that some years so much happens at once. I felt somewhat relieved about it at the time. I remember telling my husband that if Cowboy was going to walk through that door, it was best to do it when it was already open from the grief of others. The door was opened, and one after another walked through it. Now it’s closed. I hope for awhile.

I think you will hear him whinnying louder and louder with time. When the physical is gone, we tune in stronger and stronger to the echoes of it. At least, that’s my experience and I love that part of it.

It’s amazing how long horses live and are a part of our lives, isn’t it? Oh, the memories!! I’m sure you’re grateful for every one of them. What a boy!

Linda said...

Sorry, my 2023, then part of 2024, but mostly 2023.