Friday, March 21, 2025

Fitting in

 There were three landmark things I was looking for before full time turnout in the herd for Dallas.

First was her being comfortable in the herd where she can totally relax and not be on guard constantly. 

Check.

Next was being able to have Velvet as her buddy as Gussie is so food dominant and bosses Dallas at feeding time. 

Check. 

Third and most important was seeing her drink from the waterer. To facilitate that I had Ted undo the rusted bolt that held one of the gates shut, and with the gate tied open there was a place to drink that allowed an escape route if one of the other horses came up behind her. 

Also check. 

That only took 3 days. Today, Dallas is quite relaxed, even went to the waterer where it is closed in a corner (on the opposite side of where she is drinking in the photo) so I know she is quite at home and has the herd dynamics all figured out. 

Good girl, Dallas. 

The only thing I have to work on with her is catching. I can catch her if she is in the smaller pen by herself, but out in the herd, not so much. She is wary; lets me stand next to her but doesn't care to be touched unless I am quite polite and wait for her to acknowledge me. It will take time. After all, I'm not a horse. 

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

She will be coming up to you before long, she sounds like a sweet easy gal:)

aurora said...

That didn't take long! Nothing better than calm herd dynamics. Dallas is probably just being cautious, after being caught and hauled away to the unknown.

Shirley said...

Most likely. She has another haul coming up in a couple of weeks to be bred.

4RRanch said...

Well, I got behind. I had to scroll back and see who this Dallas was. Very pretty! And already settled in, good. Hope she ends up easier to catch than my Hugo ;)