I finally allowed Patsy into the full herd; she has been with Velvet long enough that they were comfortable with each other, so I let Gussie and Rally in with them. Of course that meant shenanigans!
Velvet got in on it, but not for long.
They had their moment, then decided to hang out in the shelter for a while. I love that they all fit in there and get along.
Later on they went out to the pasture. I opened up the middle pasture again, I had them in there twice this year and it came back beautifully.
Velvet is slowing down. She tends to want to be more by herself now that the other mares are there to keep Patsy busy.
In Rally news, she has let me do a little nipping and rasping on her front feet, but she is a ways away from being ready for a farrier. One day at a time. I am not in a hurry with her; if I don't get her handled to my satisfaction this summer, I will wait until next year to breed her. But I will still try to get her to the stud this month. Trouble is, she has silent heats, so I will just have to guess.












6 comments:
They are beautiful running together. You have so many photo opportunities now! And look at all that grass. Horse heaven.
Such a lovely herd of horses.
Happy herd! You (er' horses) are fortunate to have good soil that produces such plentiful grass!!
Pretty herd of redheads!
We have a river that winds past us on 3 sides, so this is old river silt and 95 years of livestock farming on it to fertalize it, so the soil is both sandy and rich. We have way more pasture than we can use! It's a good problem to have!
Good news that they are all getting along!
Post a Comment