Sunset, and a lovely end to Canada day, which I spent relaxing on the couch, watching the Ponoka Stampede on the Cowboy Channel. The recent rains have given us cool mornings, so this morning I worked Rally, and yesterday I worked Patsy.
This was the first time I asked her to step onto and over the "bridge". She just is so cool about everything. I also asked her to follow me into the trailer- she had only self loaded at liberty (there was Food! in there! ) so asking her to step in was a whole different deal.
Of course it helped that there was a bucket of oats in there, she is quite food motivated at this point. She is super easy to work with.
I had to take a break from working with their feet; I have had a nasty cold for a couple of weeks and bending over sends me into a coughing fit. Getting better now, so feet are going back on the roster for both her and Rally.
Today was Rally's turn, and smart girl that she is, she picked up where we left off. My goal today was to longe her over the bridge instead of asking her to come to me in front of her. One thing about Rally, if she thinks she is going to get in trouble she either shuts down or has an exaggerated reaction, so the key to her is taking my time, staying soft and giving timely releases so she understands when she gets it right. Also, she loves to get praised and loved on.



6 comments:
What a great poem! Very thought provoking.
Your patience is paying off. Hope you keep feeling better.
I had that terrible cold last Spring, it was hard to get rid of. Nice work with Rally and Patsy! They are so lucky to have you as a trainer!
I shared the poem with Brad. He also loved it and asked if I could make it into a wall hanging for our barn. I said, no to hand lettering. Waaay too many words! However, I could print it out/create something with it. With proper credit of course. Or just enjoy as is :)
I am not on FB, but saw Patrick has poetry books for sale.
Thanks for sharing his good words!!
He was a good find!
Good work with your girls! Rally sure seems to want to please and you are the perfect, sensitive hand to help her achieve that.
That poem is spot on. You can tell everything about someone by the way they ask their horse. I continue to learn about myself through it, and forced to make changes in myself, too.
Working with an older unbroke horse has been a challenge for me, and as made me into a more thoughtful handler. Now that I am older I am not in a hurry to get things done, and I think that's what Rally needs- for me to stay soft, unhurried, and pay attention to what works and when to stop. Knowing when to stop is key.
Post a Comment