Once Rally made the decision to load her front feet in the trailer, with me in there, it was time to work on sending her in. She did, but gave me her worried/puzzled look.
I worked on getting her to move further in, but that was all she would give me on the send.
So I reverted to going in with her; sometimes it is 1 step forward and a step or 2 back. She loaded three quarters of her body again no back feet. I noticed that she got really worried if I tapped her butt for a go forward cue, so back to the drawing board it was. I worked her on the line, making sure the rope sailed onto her butt until she stopped being anxious about it. Then asked for the send into the trailer again, but only got half her body, and her worried look. So I stepped in again, got her three quarters in again, let her rest a bit then went to swinging the rope at her butt to encourage forward with her back feet. We had to go out and back in several times, but she didn't have big evasions, just not wanting to give that last little bit. Eventually, she raised a back hoof and let her toe rest in the trailer.
Lots of praise and lovin' up on her, and a couple handfuls of oats, et voila!



6 comments:
Good progress :-)
Your patience with Rally is really paying off!! Way to go!
Bravo! Good work, Shirley!
You are doing such good work with Rally. Skeeter and I really struggle with trailer loading. I've tried all I know to do, I've brought in trainers, the whole nine. I can eventually get her in (most of the time), but it's never easy.
It is a lot harder with older horses. Rally is 9. A lot of her mannerisms and way of thinking are part of her life as a range mare, with not much human interaction, much like your Skeeter.
love her expressions!
Post a Comment