Monday, August 4, 2025

Hives

 Yesterday when I brought Rally up to work with her, she was covered in hives. 



So that meant no saddling. One step back... 

I did do some sacking out getting her to drag the tarp, no issues there. I also managed to get her to lift her right hind enough to nip and rasp some. 

Today, those hives had erupted overnight. 



They were heavily encrusted and it took a bit to get them cleaned up. 


Poor girl, they are quite sore. I put calendula salve and Melrose oil on as well as lots of fly spray all over her. 

I figure these are deer fly bites, and she sure did have a reaction to them. I am going to the vet to see if I can get anything for her over the counter as well as lots more fly spray. 

The other horses don't seem to have any bites or issues at the moment. 

12 comments:

GunDiva said...

Oh no! Mystery hives are the worst, and those look so sore. Poor kid, I hope she feels better soon.

TeresaA said...

Quaid's first year here he erupted in hives in august. I figured it was the flies that he wasn't used to. They cleared up really fast with antihistamines. The next year he had a little reaction and now they don't bother him at all (other than the normal 'bother').

Shirley said...

What antihistamines did you use?

Far Side of Fifty said...

poor gal hope they clear up soon

TeresaA said...

It was one my vet prescribed. Came in a powder that I sprinkled on his feed.

Linda said...

Gosh, that’s horrible. 😞 poor girl. I second the antihistamine. I have a friend who gives her horse something like over the counter Claritin. Not sure the dose.

aurora said...

Ouch!! Those are some nasty bites. As you've probably read, our Cierra is allergic to and reacts to bug bites. Different than Rally's reaction. Our biggest concern with bites are they mostly affect Cierra's breathing. She is on allergy meds and also uses incremental doses of Dex. as needed, or a syrup called Ventipulmin to help clear her airway.

Hope you find something additional to help your girl with the bites.

Shirley said...

What does she get for allergy meds?

thecrazysheeplady said...

Frankie is more bothered by bugs than the other two and I have him on a supplement to help repel them and keep his allergic reactions to them lower. I think it helps some. Poor Rally. Those look miserable :-(.

Val Ewing said...

Oh no! I did find a fly spray that caused two of my girls to have hives and loss of hair. Thankfully, the gals can go into the deep part of the woods and escape the nastier bugs.
I hope she recovers quickly.

aurora said...

Cierra's allergy medicine is a subcutaneous shot, formulated specific to her allergy test results. Initially given as a series with varied doses, now a maintenance shot.

M said...

wishing rally a speedy recovery!