Friday, January 16, 2026

Those barn cats

 Rub-a-dub-dub...

3 kittens in a tub!
This tub is half full of straw and they like to cuddle in it and keep warm. I have been able to pet all 3 of them as of today. 

Timbits

Timbits absolutely loves pets. He must have pets before eating and drinking and purrs loudly all the while.  He also leaves the barn and comes to greet me when he hears me leave the house to come do my barn chores. 

Matilda

This gorgeous girl is the spittin' image of her mama, Misty. She is tolerating being petted lately but not as eager as her brother. She plays mostly with her sister.....

Minou

This tabby female is the most feral of the kittens. Slow to trust humans, but has recently decided that I have earned the Minou Badge of Approval as the designated Hand That Feeds and therefore will Allow one second of petting. So far. She is a work in progress! 

I got a quote from the vet on the cost of spay/neuter for them and their mama, around $1000 if I bring all 4 in at the same time for a 20% discount. ( This is why we like horse vets over small animal vets!) The trick is going to be gathering all 4 at the same time but if I start feeding them in the big carrying kennel I might be able to pull it off. Timbits and Matilda I can likely just pick them up and put them in but Misty and Minou, not so much at this point. The kittens are 4 months old so I have 2 months to get that program working. The key will be whether or not Misty gets pregnant before then, I sure hope not!

10 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

You have a project herding cats!

aurora said...

Oh my goodness, your kittens are super cute!! Timbits has your number <3 Good idea on acclimating them to the kennel. Brad's cat Purr is our most wary. Close to impossible to catch and doesn't like to be touched, unless on her terms. She started sleeping in our cat carrier (we fluffed it) which I think helped ease her nerves.

That is a big chunk of change to get cats fixed. Bless you! Guessing there are no feral spay/neuter programs in your area. Our small animal vet also gives multi-animal discount. Our three go in at the same time, unless our equine vet vaccinates them at our place.

Most people just let outdoor cats endlessly reproduce, get sick, become a meal or hunted by humans :(

Thank you for helping your sweet cats!

Linda said...

You need to make a Kitty Calendar with your photos! The proceeds could go to the spay and neuter fund. That seems like a lot of money! We have a charitable pet place here that is devoted to spaying and neutering, but it has been so long since I needed one. We haven’t had kittens in a decade. The last cat I got was Grady, and he came from SCRAPS, already neutered.

They’re all so cute, and I love their names. Timbits. ❤️

Shirley said...

That is the feral cat discount..... most vets charge 5 to 7 hundred for a spay, less for neuter

Leslie said...

Hi Shirley barly would love timbits as a friend

Shirley said...

Hi Leslie! Come on over anytime!

Firn said...

I trapped and neutered a massive feral cat colony on the family farm a couple of years ago. We did 56!!!! It was not a fun experience but so worthwhile. Had to use live traps for almost all of them, but it worked!

threecollie said...

Yowsa on the vet costs! We are blessed with a farm vet who does that kind of work very reasonably. Cute kitties!

GunDiva said...

I do love those little faces! Timbits reminds me of our last true barn cat, Rambo. He was quite the supervisor of all things farm and loved people. Our cats now are just pretend barn cats, as they are fair weather cats, and choose the house when it's gross out. I can't believe that price is the discounted feral price - yikes! I think we pay $50-80/cat at the local TNR clinic.

KB said...

I will contribute towards their spay/neuter. Thank you for doing this, and good luck in catching them!