Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Trimming feet and measuring legs

Look who is learning to stand tied! She is doing really well; I now keep her in the box stall at night, and have her turned out during the day. I noticed that she was walking on her tippy toe on her sore leg, so I decided to trim her foot, thinking that if I shortened up that toe, she would be more inclined to put the whole foot down and stretch those tendons out again. So I tied her to the hitchin'rail, and set to work. She stood really well, and let me use the nippers and the rasp, to my surprise.

That, folks, is a freshly trimmed Chickory foot. She was so good, I decided to trim the other hind foot, which was also no problem. So, feeling quite brave by now, I moved on to the front feet. Now, in my experience, babies are much more reluctant to let you have their front feet than their hinds, and Chickory is no exception. So with a little patience, I got her to give me her front feet; this is where she tested being tied up. She pulled back a few times, but didn't panic, and shortly after, let me rasp the fronts. The nippers I couldn't use, as holding her leg between my knees was just a little too much for her. All in all, I am happy with her- just hope she heals up well and comes sound soon. She is walking much better since I trimmed her.


I did a post a while ago about measuring a horses future height by measuring their front leg. Here is where you measure from:

(This is Sassy)

And this is where you measure to- the top of the bottom bone in the knee.

Use a metal tape (why are horses so wary of tape measures?) and lay it along the contours of the leg. What you get in inches is what you will get in hands. Sassy measures almost 15 and a half inches, so she should mature at just under 15.2 hands.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

Good job!! Looks wonderful! Glad to see she stands tied now, that's much progress! Wish I could get Sugarfoot to do that. Hmmm, work to do.
Interesting on the measuring part. I'd heard about that, but never seen it done. Now I know. Thank you!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wow atta girl Chicory!!
She looks like she is over her inner "Wild Child" for the time being.I had learned that same measure trick done from the top of the hoof to the point of the shoulder then double you r measure for future height seems to be accurate either way. Sounds like you are a bit happier this week hopefully things are levelling out for you .

Linda said...

Heck, tape measures terrify me, especially if they get anywhere near my hips:)

The W.O.W. factor! said...

She did wonderful! and you were in your new covered area/corral! Bet you are enjoying that!
But you still have white stuff on the ground???
Yikes!

Shirley said...

WOW, that white stuff is only in the areas that don't get any sun. It's looking really brown here still. My daughter lives in Ontario near the Great Lakes, she says they have a foot of snow.