Saturday, November 1, 2008

Chickory, continued

Today I spent a lot of time with Chickory, as I have to work the next 5 days so won't have a lot of time to spend on her. This morning she came up to me and sniffed me, which she hasn't done before. I got her in the little pen and she let me touch her- just barely- and it's like she has a wall that she won't let me past. So I got the rope around her neck again, and worked with her til I could get both my hands on her, for the first time; one over her heart and the other on her withers. (Thanks, Twila). We ended the session there, without the rope, and getting her to circle me so that she was looking at me out of the right eye.(Thanks again, Twila.) So every session, we are making progress, but she is only allowing me one small step at a time. Which is fine with me, because I want to give this filly a forever home, and I need to gain her absolute trust. She behaves like a wild mustang, so I can really appreciate all the work that people like Tracey at Mustang Diaries goes through with all the horses she works with. My hat's off to them!This is the look she gave me after we finished and I was sitting quietly in the pen with her.

No comments: