Friday, October 8, 2010

Beamer feet


Left front

Mrs. Mom, this post is for you! I had Beamer trimmed today, and I would appreciate any input on his front feet issues. His left front as you can see in this photo, has a very straight inner side, while his right front is a more normal shape.
Right front

My farrier says that the separation at the toe is growing out nicely. You can still see some bruising from our trail ride. There is a little thrush in the heel of the frog, Coppertox is on my shopping list.
His feet look odd to me, is it normal for there to be more foot on the outside than the inside?
He doesn't really flare out, and the toe flare is growing out nicely, by spring it should be all gone.
Also, he relieved the quarters. That's where the foot breaks away just before trimming time. It's been 5 weeks and 4 days since his last trim, and once again he grew a lot of heel. I might have to go to 4 weeks.
You can't tell by the above photo but his left front foot looks smaller because of the flat inner side.
Mrs. Mom feel free to use your colored lines on these photos!

12 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Those pictures really show the difference.I will be interested to see what Mrs Mom has to say

GunDiva said...

I can't figure out feet without Mrs Mom's magic arrow-y thingies.

Glen Moulton said...

I'm looking forward to the 'pro opinion' as well, be sure to read Pete Rameys Frog Management article, he is adamant that any thrush at all is detrimental and will prevent heel first landings, causing excess heel growth and toe landings leading to bruising.

http://www.hoofrehab.com/hoof%20articles%20by%20Pete%20Ramey.htm

I had 2 horses with thrush from a super wet spring, I used the pinesol soak and Petes goo recipe, took about 2 full months but the thrush is gone and the frogs look better than ever, wide, flat and thick. NO CREASE or groove at the heels.
Read more here,

http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/Thrush/ThrushRevisited.html

Mrs. Mom said...

Running short on time right this second Shirley, but will do the magic arrow thingy today/ tomorrow.

BUT--- quick word-- save your money on Coppertox. Seriously - invest in some White Lightening (remind me to zap you the link- I have to find it again), or just some Povodine scrub.

Use q-tips, scrub up as far inside of the frog as you can. Pack in either Pete's goo, or some AlbaDry (mastitis treatment for dairy cattle- PenG in an easy to use tube.)

Even scrubbing out the frogs with warm water and dish soap will help start getting rid of the thrush. Shoot, Listerene will help too.

Magic Arrow post to come as soon as I can! And BIG smooch to Beamer from me ;)

Shirley said...

After reading the links provided above, I think I will try my essential oils on Beamer's thrush: several of them are antibiotic, anti fungal, anti microbial etc. I have a little spray bottle of "Thieves antiseptic spray" and I'll do a little research to find the best oils. I plan to do the dawn dish soap scrub first, dry the hoof,apply the oils and spray, and cover with Animal Scents ointment. I'll let you all know how it works. I'm assuming that the thrush is why he walks tenderfooted, so I can't wait to see if this solves the problem.

Glen Moulton said...

http://www.centaurforge.com/CleanTrax-Hoof-Cleaner-25g/productinfo/10701

I was impressed with the changes I saw in my horses feet, The nice thing is the treatments preserve living tissue and eliminate the fungus and bacteria. Int eh future I'll use either the clean trax or white lightening, one treatment and followup is much more appealing than repeated soaks and application of treatments. Either way it works.

While the essential oils may work I would be concerned that they aren't as effective and strong enough to flood the area and penetrate like a soak/fumes to penetrate and quickly and completely remove the problem.
I'm looking forward to see if its as successful for you.

To see the grove and crack come out of the frog, the heels lower and the whole foot toughen was very encouraging to me.

BridgeEtta said...

Now I have to go out and have a closer look at our horses' feet. it has been a really wet year here.

lisa said...

Nice sound advice! I will make sure I write this down in case if I ever need it for future use!

Glen Moulton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BridgeEtta said...

We are not professionals but our horses feet are very important because of how hard they have to work so I hope you won't mind me saying this.

A horse that isn't trimmed level will cause more weight to be distributed on one side of the foot, causing that side to flare and the other to contract. Even from the pictures it doesn't look like Beamer's feet are level to me.

My cowboy's opinion is that many farriers are too lazy or think they are too good to use a t-level to actual tell them if the foot is really level or not.

A good farrier is worth his weight in gold because a bad one can do so much damage. We have learned from sad experience.

Glen Moulton said...

Oops, forgot to include this link in my post,

http://www.healthyhoof.com/articles/HealthyFallFrogs/HealthyFallFrogs2009.html

http://www.grandcircuitinc.com/products.asp?cat=57

Iosif said...

Very nice blog! We are glad to have found a blog so beautiful! We will read with pleasure!