Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Back to school

With this mild weather and the subsequent softening of the snow, I figured the footing in the round pen would be good enough to put Rio back in training.
Did a little bit of longeing in the bosal first, then saddled him up and longed him some more. You'd think he was an ole broke horse; just threw the saddle on and off he went, didn't even bat an eye; and he hasn't been worked for 4 months.
You can tell how big he is- those stirrups are adjusted to fit me and I wear 36" leg in my jeans.
I'm getting pretty excited about riding him, he's got the kind of disposition I love, and he is such a nice moving horse.
I know I have to wait until he's growed up a little more, and so I'll keep on doing ground work and as many different things as I can think of to introduce him to, then in late May, he's heading to the trainers.

If you haven't been over to Own a Morgan blog in the last day- head on over, she is having a contest to celebrate her 500th post!

11 comments:

Crystal said...

What a nice boy! Will be exciting to see how he does when being ridden!

Mary Ann said...

He is such a pretty boy, even in his winter coat... but I love the last pictures with the two coaches watching from the sideline!

aurora said...

I've always been a big fan of Rio! Such a well built good looking guy, with a great personality - who appears to have snuck his way into your heart :) So glad you kept him, and I'm sure you are too!

Janice said...

What a good fellow. Love the coaching staff on either flank.

Paint Girl said...

Sounds like he has an excellent mind! I am hoping when I get Chance going again this spring that she will be just like Rio, no care in the world! He's gonna be a good sized boy!

Anonymous said...

Looking good - you breed and raise good ones!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I admire your work so much:) B

Montanagirl said...

Hello, I'm back...still alive. Wouldn't care to go through that again, however! I'm feeling much better. That Rio is so beautiful, and must be such a pleasure to work with!

Unknown said...

oh, what a good boy.

Margaret said...

Awe. He's growing up so wonderfully!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

gosh he is looking good! and BIG !!!
Gorgeous and good minded, just tthe way we like 'em