This is how I rig it, just a little shorter on the rein that I tie back with a quick release knot, through the stirrup and to the back cinch D ring.
The idea is that he will find the soft release spot on his own.
"Ya mean like this??"
Yes Rio, just like that. It only took a few minutes and he had it figured.
I ran out of camera battery right there. Anyway, I bitted him both sides, and then put my driving lines on him- did a little refresher course on the feel of them on his body and dragging on the ground beside him and then off we went. His steering was pretty good in all directions forward, but he didn't get the back up figured out today until I stepped to his head and asked him in a more familiar way, and using the reins at the same time. Then he got it. When I asked him to whoa, instead of asking for the back up which was a little to much for today, I just held the lines while he leaned on them and patiently waited for him to find his vertical release- he already had the lateral release from being bitted up before I ground drove him. He thought about it for a little, and then viola! The vertical release- consistently. Good boy Rio! Tomorrow's session should be a cake walk, once this boy gets something he gets it and it stays. So Shayla- you might get a few minutes of solo riding in the snaffle tomorrow!
We are still waiting for Belle to foal, and since she might go longer than the last guess here is what I'm going to do: When it is born, I'll take the names of all the people who got the sex and color right and draw a winner from that.
9 comments:
It's so nice to see people taking it slow and easy training colts. Your sweetheart, Rio is looking good. He's going to turn out great.
Rio is such a beauty, and apparently very smart as well!
He's looking good.
Do you start all your horses before they are 2? He looks great, but I am not familiar with anyone who does this at such an early age.
Lori- it depends on the horse. This one was mentally mature enough, and big enough to start working on him, and his knees are very close to being closed.
I always start the ground work as a long yearling, there is plenty they can learn before they ever carry a rider. I wouldn't get on this horse until later in the summer, but Shayla doesn't weigh much (not polite to tell a lady's weight!)so I am not concerned about Rio carrying her for the short rides we are putting on him. We aren't pressuring this horse up, we are keeping sessions short- he hasn't worked up a sweat yet, and his mind is still soft and willing.
he is a real smarty..and it must be wonderful to watch him "get it"..you are a heck of a trainer:)
My sister does about half of what you have done with Rio with her newbie horses...biting at 2 and tacking, driving, desensitizing..no circles though, for the developing knees.
Rio, he is such a sweetie. Shayla is doing fantastic job.
OKAY BELLE..praying for the best!
I've heard about bit seats, but have never seen one. What is the reason/purpose for one? Is is permanent or does it have to be done every time his teeth are done?
He looks so soft in the eye, even when he's figuring out how to give to the pressure! He's going to make someone an incredible partner.
Post a Comment