Tuesday, April 2, 2013

It's all relative

For those of you who are concerned about us working Rio at a young age, I think this photo puts into perspective the comparative size of Rio and Shayla.
We don't overwork him, I am careful about his growing bones. We don't do endless circles and stress his joints, in fact we do minimal work in the round pen. After this ground driving session and a few minutes of her riding him in the round pen to make sure he understood his steering in the snaffle bit, we headed out for a little ride through the field in the background. (On a lead line.)
The last thing I want to do is break him down. and no, I can't just let him sit in the pasture for another year. I take it slow, I read my horse, and work within his ability both physical and mental.

20 comments:

Pattie said...

Someone complained? It is pretty obvious, he isn't being overworked, or over stressed. Damn pity we can't take all the negativity in the world and let them all suck on helium, funny and maybe they will all float away.

Shirley said...

Pattie, thanks for the laugh!!!

Kalin said...

Good for you!!! The horse is obviously taken care of!! (And gorgeous!)
Kalin from Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

Two Blondes and an Appy said...

Great first snaffle bit ride!!!!!

If I thought that I was hurting Rio being up there I wouldn't be riding him. He's a real BIG boy and I'm just a little over 5'2 and am around 115lbs.... Right now the rides are more about building confidence and getting used to somebody up on him. Along the way we've introduced him to some of the maneuvers he'll need to do once he goes to the trainers, but he's not being worked enough to make him tired or hurt him.

Dreaming said...

He is one hunk of a horse!

Paint Girl said...

Well said! He is definitely not being over worked. I would have started Chance at 2, but she wasn't ready physically, so I waited until she was 3. But if my Rio is gentled enough this summer, I will start putting a saddle on her and she will be 2 1/2 then. It all depends on if they are physically and mentally ready then they are fine to break and ride at 2. I will never understand some people!

Susan said...

Good for you.

I like Rio's mane in that second photo.

CDH said...

I think you are doing an amazing job with this fancy "little" boy! You gotta keep their minds always thinking and working or you wind up with a bratty pony that no one wants to be around! Just like kids! :)

allhorsestuff said...

We'll, The Comments Would Be D Funny, On Helium!
He's Credibly Hunky For Little Shayla!
Never Thought Otherwise. It's Always Been Apparent To Me That Training On Your Facility Is Taken Seriously, Calmly, Methodically And Correct.

Good Snaffle Day Ride Shayla!

WendyFromNY said...

I don't know anything about training horses, but it sure looks as if you should be the leader in that field! I just saw pictures of a horse tied with ropes, one around a leg, holding it up, and the two men would put the horse on the ground and keep him there until he gave up. Dominating the horse. Sure doesn't seem the way to build trust and confidence. You and Shayla are building a wonderful relationship with this young horse! I'd rather see it done your way!

Jenny said...

He looks fantastic!

Jenn said...

All breeds are different. They grow at different rates. Most people would never start a warmblood under saddle until three or four...but they don't mature physically until 5 or older. Thoroughbreds are racing at 2 and 3 (which is young in my opinion) and most quarter horses are started at 2 or 3 because they simply mature faster physically than other breeds.

He looks great and Shayla fits him well.

Unknown said...

It kind of has seemed to me all along that work you and Shayla have been doing is more mental than physical. I also agree with what someone else said about how important it really is. Other wise you end up with a horse like...well like my little mare, who came to me at 3 and was pretty much a total brat.

I say keep up the good work.

cheyenne jones said...

Hi Shirley! I completely agree with your methods. I stated Sunny at 2years, light work, leave her for a while, then a little more etc. It has worked a treat. Rio looks the "Business!" Well done to both of you.

Crystal said...

I like starting a horse young, even just lightly, they are always looking to learn at that age and it makes it so much easier when they want to do something. I think he is sure looking good and wow is he ever big!

Ashley Bergen said...

You guys started him at just the right age. I think you should start a horse from day one then work up. You might find this guy helpful in your training.
http://downunderhorsemanship.com/blog/default.aspx

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's obvious you're not running him and are only walking and teaching him cues and getting him used to everything he will be exposed to when he is ridden regularly.
I think most people have a problem with Thoroughbreds being started so young. I know I do, because they're not started slowly like you are doing with Rio. They are rushed into racing, so their owners and investors can start making some money off of the horse.
Rio looks more than capable of handling the experiences and tasks you are exposing him to.

~Lisa

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Rio is a 2 yr old right? I am not sure why anyone would have an issue with the work he is getting , esp with a young stallion, better to teach him a job, nice light works but focus , then just leave him.I think the confusion about starting young ones is those who are stated and showing in futurities and performance classes at 2 , worked hard in deep sand footing etc. Shayla is such a slight girl, I bet he hardly notices the weight

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a slip of a girl and a huge honking horse..seems to me they make a really good team and the time is right..and you are taking it slow and easy..my goodness.. you wouldn't do anything bad for that horse..anyone that has read your blog should realize that:)

Margaret said...

She's a slip of a thing and I'm sure you are taking it lightly. He is a big boy and it is good for his brain, I'm sure. What a fine stallion he will be... are you keeping him, I think I remember you saying you were. And he is a stallion, right?