Thursday, November 14, 2013

One door closes....

....and another one opens. If you recall, I said that Gussie had been sold to the young lady riding her in the photo I posted... well she backed out of the deal (after we shook hands on it, guess that means nothing to the younger generation).

So I advertised Gussie on Northern Horse .com and within 24 hours I had someone who wants to buy her. I won't go into details, but it looks like a good fit- in fact I told him that I'd hold the money for a month and he could return her if he doesn't get along with her.Not only that- it's in Turner Valley Alberta, my old stompin' grounds. So I can visit her when we travel up that way.

It will be a less demanding lifestyle for the big red girl, mostly trail rides and hunting trips. Speaking of big... I measured her with the weight tape, she is around 1350 lbs. and that's not fat.
I found someone on Facebook who was looking to fill her trailer on a trip through here to Alberta, so both mares are leaving tomorrow morning.
It's tough selling horses. Especially when you've had them for so long, and they trust you. I feel like a traitor! But circumstances get in the way of dreams, and I think I am doing the best I can for them.

15 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Glad you found a good fit, I am sure it is hard selling the mares, hugs to you

Malory said...

I can imagine it must be hard to sell your horses. Just know, you are impacting me, with your honest and positive attitude. = )

Anonymous said...

You have made the best plans for them that you can. Hard to see them go - my thoughts are with you.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Shirley I do understand that feeling even without horses. Hug. Handshakes do not mean much to this generation that is so true. So happy you found a good home. Hug B

Prairie Ridge Performance Horses said...

Well, my friend, I feel for you, having to sell horses that you have had for a long time, is HARD on a persons soul. But you have "done good" by them and found them what sounds like GREAT homes, both of them!!
I am sure you will keep us up to date on both of them!! (If you can)
Good Luck to the new owners!!
You are getting yourselves some pretty special ponies.

Kalin said...

I'm so happy both of the girls have found great homes and that you'll be able to visit Gussie!! If I was closer, I'd buy her in a second! She seems to have found a really amazing home though. I'm sure it's hard and I can't even imagine what you've gone through in the past few months.

Montanagirl said...

So glad you found someone for her. It must be so hard for you to give her up!

IanH said...

I know how you fwwl! It was tough selling my two!

thecrazysheeplady said...

That's why we don't breed any of our own sheep here. I just. couldn't. sell. them. So hard. Sounds like a good fit for everyone though.

Janice said...

I'm with Carol, the new owners of these horses are very lucky....I hope they know that.I've been where you are Shirley and I sure know that feeling....so I'm not going to say it gets better because it doesn't however there is some comfort in knowing that you have done your best to place them with good people that will care for them in all ways.

Michele said...

If I had had my own acres, and home I would have bought Gussie. But the Lord has determined wasn't meant to be.

Michele said...

:(

lilyrose said...

I understand how hard it is to let good horses go when you've had them for a long time...and enjoyed them so much. I had to sell two of my mares a few years ago. I felt awful for awhile. But I was lucky that the new owners took them both! They are still happily together with that same family. I keep hoping I won't have to sell any more of my herd though.

Janice Grinyer said...

Good for Gussie - a man of her own LOL she'll have him wrapped around her hoof in no time...

hugs to (((SHIRLEY!)))

aurora said...

You my dear are nothing close to a traitor!! We do the best we can, and you did good. The girls will shine in their new homes!