After such a nice first ride on Kai, I had no qualms about getting on him today, even thought there was nobody around (Hey- I'm getting old, and brittle, back up is a good thing!)
I started as usual reviewing ground work, and added swinging the lariat. He tolerated that well, and I put a loop over his rump and led him ,then put it around his barrel and led him with the lariat. No worries!
I decided to ground tie him for saddling, and he only took one tiny sidestep as I lifted the saddle from the ground, then stood still- good boy, Kai!
I decided to video the ride, so the following video may be a bit long and we aren't always in the picture as I hung the camera from the fence- but Josie is grazing in the background so there is something to see!
Basically, he needed a little prompting to get started, still needs help with turns, whoa needs a lot of work, and even though I tried with being energetic with my body he wouldn't break into a trot. I didn't want to force him into a trot by spanking with the reins or kicking, I just wanted it to be a natural progression but he wasn't ready. I think my pen is a little small for him to feel confidant packing me around at a trot. However, since he is being nice and quiet, I will start hauling him to the local arena where they have a much bigger round pen.
Doesn't look too concerned, does he? That's the nice thing about starting horses when they are a little older the mental maturity is a bonus!
4 comments:
Plenty of tail swishing, I suspect he really couldnt be too bothered!Lol! But he looks really nice, calm, and generous to you.
He already looks more "mature" :-).
You are doing a great job with Kai, a larger working area will be a good progression. So I thought his color was blue, but kinda liking him in bright green - oh color me happy!
Very true about starting them a little Older,Johnny was 4 when I started him and I have to say, what a wise brave boy he was
Post a Comment