Thursday, September 4, 2014

Training Kai- day 14; saddle up and ride.

My husband finally made it home from the Island- a bit of a long tour this time. Since I had help, it was time to saddle up and climb on Kai. Everything went so well when I got on him bareback that I wasn't anticipating any problems.
But, just to be sure, I did a little ground work first. Even better- he let me saddle him in the round pen with only one tiny sidestep- yay! I did throw the lead rope over the top rail instead of over my elbow, but he was by no means tied. I think he finally has it figured.
I tied a milk jug to the saddle and sent him around- that was boring, so I tied it to the bag and whip combo and sacked him out with that.

me> I think he's at the point that whatever I sack him out with he's ok with. So it's time to up the ante there and work on different obstacles. I really want to do the Cowboy Challenge course with him someday, so I need to build a few things for training him in that area, like a bridge, tunnel, water hazard etc. Maybe next summer I can put him in a Jim Anderson clinic out by Bull River, they put on a clinic out there that already has all those obstacles set up, and by then we should be ready for a clinic.
Then it was time to enlist Ted's help and climb aboard. The following video is a bit boring- which is just perfect! I like a boring first ride! I had Ted lead us around. There were times I could feel that Kai was unsure, like when we turned a little tight he really had to work on keeping his balance. Ted said he spread his hind legs out when that happened.


The next session should be working on a longer line, more like longeing with a rider. Shayla- wish you were here for this! But I'm sure Ted will do a good job.
I'm loving Kai's attitude, he really is trusting me and willing to do whatever I put him through. It's up to me not to betray that trust.



6 comments:

Crystal said...

sure looks like you got another nice colt there, he seems to be taking it all in stride and yet not dead.

Anonymous said...

That's so exciting (or not, that's the point I guess)! But you know what I mean . . . He seems to have a really good mind and to be very willing.

aurora said...

Great job Shirley! I've no doubt you'll meet your goals with Kai, and have fun along the way.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Nice colt!

cdncowgirl said...

Love it :)

I've been thinking it's about time I suck it up and get on my colts...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice workout Ted and Shirley:)