Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Kai Day 22: third ride

A lot less ground work today; started out with saddling him ground tied and he was absolutely perfect, didn't move a muscle. Then I flapped my jacket all over him- again, he stood stock still like a good boy. After that I swung my lariat- he did move away, from the center of the pen over to the rail, but more being cautious than panicky, so I brought him back to the center and continued swinging the rope- no issues after that.
I stepped on, asked for lateral flexion both ways; he was a little more resistant to the right, so I persevered until he was equally soft on both sides. Then I disengaged his hip both ways, and then his shoulder. Sat quietly for a moment and asked him to walk out. He much preferred to just stand there, but he did walk off, and around the pen.
Very first Kai ear cam shot!
I rode him around the pen with turns both ways and a much improved whoa- I made a point of being very clear in my thinking and cues when I asked for the stop. Also, I back him a step or two after the stop.



That being said, just after the whoa in this video, I asked him to back and he was resisting, so I tapped him with my legs - he jumped forward, had a mini crow-hop and loped 3 steps to the fence and stopped. I think he woke up! I am always glad when we get that first "blow" out of the system of a young horse, I am happy that he doesn't blow hard! Nowhere near as hard as Rio for example; Rio would take a huge jump and then stop. Kai is littler and easier! Anyway, after  that he had a little more energy and walked out better and paid attention better . No trot though. I stopped after a few more nice soft stop/back ups. So I think we are ready to haul to a bigger round pen now. (Big grin!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good boy, Kai!

Montanagirl said...

He steps out nicely!

Far Side of Fifty said...

He is getting better everyday! :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

guess he finally figured out you were up there lol , good that's done, now on with the learning! Looks like he is nice and soft at least in the walk that you showed

Unknown said...

You are doing just fabulous with him!

Crystal said...

He looks good, and a little surprise is a good thing, now you know what hes gonna be like and it sounds like its not gonna be bad. Yay a bigger arena is always a good thing and I think I can see you grin from here :)