Monday, December 7, 2015

Into the dreary part of winter

This is an El Nino year, which means mild and wet where we live. And sure enough, after that little blast of winter that brought minimal snow but lots of ice, it started raining. My plans for riding were put on hold- first because it was too icy to pull the horse trailer out of my driveway; my pulling truck is 2 wheel drive- and now with the rain, I can haul but still can't ride the fields, which have been cultivated and are now a muddy mess.
 Gah! I remember how nice it was in Alberta when I could just saddle up and go in just about any direction.Well at least I can ride down the road now; and I think Clancy is just as bored as I am.
Once in a while I'll do a little ground work with Josie- not flagging just moving her feet, and she remains feather light on the lead rope. I measured her yesterday and she is 57 inches, which makes her 14.1 hh- and still growing.
And then there's Beamer.... he's feeling pretty good since I started him on herbs for arthritis, and I do take him for a little ride now and then.
So- if we get a break in the rain today, I'll saddle up and go!

I was thinking yesterday about the horses I've had here this year, and put together a collage of the 4 horses that were here but have moved on to new homes.
Kai and Nitro, who have the most wonderful home, and Delia and Snoopy, mares that didn't quite work out for me; Delia was bought back by a friend of the seller, and Snoopy has joined a broodmare band in Alberta. All these horses, in their own way, contributed to my getting Clancy. Kai and Nitro I sold because I prefer mares, Delia was not a good match and Snoopy was a part trade on the sale of Delia- but even though she was a sweetheart, at 10 years old she wasn't broke at all and needed some farrier attention beyond what I could do.
I must say, I'm really happy with Clancy.  She isn't a push-button horse, but she has a good enough start on her that I can go on with her and not worry about her being silly- in fact, she takes really good care of me. I'm really looking forward to next year, I have lots of plans for her!


5 comments:

Linda said...

I wish it would rain or snow here but it's true..I can saddle up and ride in any direction and not even get a toe wet.

lisa said...

Beamer loves the pictures, or should I say the one taking the pictures!

IanH said...

At least you still have the option of riding, mud or not! I miss my horses! Did you do a post on the herbs you used on Beamer? If not, would you? Or point me towards the post? Thanks

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm glad Clancy is working out for you. She has such a kind eye.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sometimes it takes a bit to find a good fit! Hope it drys up so you can ride soon:) The package is supposed to arrive on Thursday at the Trading Post...unless it is Pony Express this time of year then it will take longer:)