It feels like August. Summer seems to have hit before spring is over. There are wildfires raging already, and as many of you know one northern Alberta town of 80,000 people was evacuated and as of this time is burning with the fire out of control. As well, 2 other fires in Alberta have evacuation alerts.
By the time I get home from work it's the hottest part of the day, and I usually wait until it's a bit cooler before working Coulee. I had her teeth done yesterday, like I figured her mouth was locked up and her poll was out as well as one vertebrae in her neck.
He took advantage of the sedative to adjust her poll and neck.
I noticed yesterday that Coulee is in heat- full squat and pee heat, so I am postponing riding for a couple of days so that I will have her full attention for our first rides. Of course, Beamer would love to spend some time with her, but he is such a good boy; he called out just a couple of times to her while I was working her.
I worked her in the round pen again today, just some basic stuff and then the flag work. I spent less than 5 minutes on that and she is so much better. Still a little feely on her right side; I am doing more right side work than left side to help get her balanced out.
This evening I talked to the girl I bought her from, just to ask a few more questions. She said she would just step on and ride, no longeing, and no silliness from the mare; that she ditch rode her and traffic or other horses in fields didn't bother her. She rode her out alone too, which is good because I do most of my riding alone.
Don't forget to watch the Kentucky Derby on Saturday! I think Gun Runner will win, but if I was going for a long shot it would be Suddenbreakngnews. I didn't like the way Nyquist finished his last race and even though he is the favourite I don't think he will win the Derby.
8 comments:
Glad Coulee is feeling better. The fires are scary, and praying for all those who have been displaced by it. As for Nyquist, yeah. My favorite is Creator. I doubt he will win, but still my favorite. He has a pink spot on his nose! :) Plus, he is a grey. Think Gunrunner, Nyquist are as well.
I hope they get the fires out soon, it is supposed to turn hot here, we need rain! Had a fire in town but it was quickly put out. Lots of bad particulate in the air already and it is just May :( I pick My Man Sam for the Derby! :)
You are wise to wait, Coulee will feel much better with all the TLC you are giving her! Sorry to hear about the wildfires, can't even imagine how scary & devastating they are...
I might be on the road traveling during the Derby! :( Hope not. Sounds like a smart plan to let her get through her heat before your first rides--no need for distractions when you start out. I read about those wildfires. It makes me sick.
Suddenbreakingnews is from my home town! woot woot
Glad she is doing so much better. She's a beautiful mare.
How close are you to the fires?
Nowhere near us. We are in south eastern BC and the fires are in northern Alberta, as well there are bad fires in north eastern BC.
I'm anxious to see how Coulee rides for you. It has to be a bit frustrating that she ended up needing so much work, but man is she going to be a happier horse for it when it's time to hit the saddle. :-)
Post a Comment