Monday, December 26, 2016

Peaceful....

We had a lovely quiet Christmas day, just me and Ted  for our first Christmas in our new-to-us home. I went for an afternoon ride on Beamer first time he has been ridden since one short ride last summer.
Just walked into his pen, put his bridle on and climbed on bareback, and went and explored the back end of this property. Sure is pretty back there in the snow.


Thea came along for company. She does fairly well, just ranges out a bit ahead, then circles in behind and does a fly-by bite at Beamer's tail (bad dog!) so we worked on that and she quit doing it, she just gets excited.

We came across fresh deer tracks- and fresh human tracks which I thought was a bit creepy, as most people walk along the dyke which has a view of the river, but this guy was wandering through the trees. Hopefully just enjoying the beauty!
Scenery always looks better when viewed through those l'il black ears!
After that it was ham, mashed 'taters and brussels sprouts, and we watched the Magnificent Seven.
Perfect day!

Ted bought me coloured artist pencils for Christmas. I'm retiring at the end of this week 😤 Yippee!
That will give me the leisure time to get my art supplies all set up and get down to some serious drawing. I have tried (and failed) painting over the years but always come back to just drawing, that's what I like to do the best, so working with coloured pencils seems logical to me. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve! I also got a set of art pens so I can do that again.
Here is a photo of a photo of an ink drawing I did waaaaay back in '87. I haven't done ink drawings for over 20 years so it will be fun to try again.

9 comments:

IanH said...

Wow, Thea is a spitting image of our old dog, Boots! I really miss the winter snow rides on the horse(s) along with our neighbourhood dog pack (up to eleven at a time) Enjoy your retirement and drawing and have a Happy New Year!

C-ingspots said...

What a fine looking horse Beamer is! Solid and trustworthy, and yes quite the wonderful view! Your Christmas sounds perfect to me.

And oh my gosh you've got talent! Love that ink drawing. I have zero talent at drawing, but adore colored or black pencil drawings the best of all. Can't wait to see your work...and congratulations on retirement! Lucky gal.

Crystal said...

Oh lucky retirement! Much more time to ride and draw!

I cant draw to save my life but I wish I could, I love pencil drawing the best but will never be any good at them so my new hobby is coloring. I got a horse coloring book before Christmas so that should be fun

Far Side of Fifty said...

That drawing is beautiful! You are very talented Shirley. I got a book "How to draw with your left brain." It is on my list for the new year:) Thea looks great! I smile just at the energy I KNOW she has! :)

aurora said...

Wow that Beamer...when they are good, they are just that - thanks to the relationship you two have! Warms my heart!! Hopefully the human tracks were nothing but isolated curiosity. Congrats on your upcoming retirement! Your time will suddenly fill & you'll wonder how you ever had time to work. Colored pencil drawing was "my thing" back in collage, if you like blending & shading/highlighting, you will love them. Looking forward to seeing your artistic eye, in whatever medium!!

Linda said...

That drawing it great, I can hardly wait to see what you'll do next now that your re-fired😋

Linda said...

You are very talented & observant!! Great detail in your drawing. Beamer is a golden horse that he would allow you to just jump on and go. What a mind! Happy trails and Merry Christmas!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Looking forward to your next chapter!

T.L. Merrybard said...

Nice work! I love drawing in ink pens. Actually if you use the indelible type you can add watercolour over the ink so that might fun to explore too. I really enjoy the process of beginning in pencil, working over it in ink, the rubbing out the pencil and adding washes of colour.

ps. retirement! Yayyyy!