The weanlings are getting into a routine with their feeding time. I bring them into the barn for this, and they are really good about it, walking right in to the end stall and each one goes right to their own spot to eat.
I installed the eye hooks for teaching them to stand tied. The first day, I just ran the rope through the eye without tying, and when they thought they were done and ready to back out, I held the ropes and let them feel as if they were tied. Since they both have learned to give by stepping forward when the lead rope tightens, there was no panic or confusion.
The next day, I tied them but held the ropes in case they pulled back, so that I could pull on the quick release knot in a hurry if needed.... but they were good. I like to use that 3/8 rope for the babies because it is light weight and releases quickly.
Once again, no issues.
The knots didn't get any tighter than that... good kidz! Even with Thumper crawling around the stall dividers, they were content to just chow down. I have them stand there when they are done for a few minutes and increase the time a little every day. Today their tying time was about a half hour. I do stay there and keep an eye on them just in case.
2 comments:
You do such a thorough job with your foals. I'm amazed. That training will last forever, too.
The time you spend with them must be so much fun! They are like sponges soaking up behaviors:)
Post a Comment