Monday, April 2, 2018

April you can't fool me

Springtime in the Rockies- you never know what you are going to get. March went out like it came in- like a lamb. This is what I usually see when I go down to do my morning chores- happy hungry horses waiting at the gate.


This morning.... well... not so much.


It was downright nasty! I had looked on my spy cam before I headed down and saw them chasing each other in and out of the shelter, but by the time I got there they were hunkered down out of the wind.


Mesa was the most snow covered, I guess the other two were pushing her out of the shelter the most. But she wasn't shivering and seemed in fine spirits.
Those were huge snowflakes! We ended up with about 5 inches of fluffy snow.
However...
wait a few hours....
and the sun came out , a lot of the snow melted, and it was just perfect for a bareback ride on Beamer.


I had to check the pond level, it is coming up, maybe a foot or two in the level spots. Then down through the trees and to the river.


Really enjoyed the ride! Beamer had his little moment when he didn't want to go past the big cement blocks that block off the dyke to traffic, and he started backing up... not a good idea when there are 10 ft. drop offs on each side! I tried circling him, I tried letting him stand quietly and looking over the situation... but every time he just backed up. For the sake of safety, I slid off... or at least, I tried to, he went sideways just as I was swinging my leg over and I landed on my butt in quite an undignified manner!!!! Needless to say, he got told just how bad his manners are and how balking at something as harmless as cement blocks is just. not. allowed! Humbled, he allowed as how I could lead him up to those horse eating blocks and climb up on them and get back on him while he stood quietly beside them. We got some nice trotting in too, and he was well behaved even going past the mares on the way back- Coyote Belle is just coming out of heat.

Rosalee is 302 days pregnant now. Baby is getting pretty big and is fairly active.


Every time I see him kicking, I get so excited to meet him!

Riding day 19

2 comments:

aurora said...

We are getting the storm system today/tonight. It's been cold here. Looking forward to our nice warm Spring weather returning. Late season snow isn't much good for anything, unless moisture is needed. Hope you aren't too sore from your slide off!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cold here too it is a never ending winter. Horse eating blocks...glad you got that all straightened out:)