Monday, April 16, 2018

What'll it be?


Here we go- contest time! Below are the possibilities for foal colour- I marked them both as non agouti carriers which eliminates bay and buckskin since neither of them have black points.

Offspring Color Probability 

12.50% -
Palomino
12.50% -
Grullo
12.50% -
Red Dun
12.50% -
Black
12.50% -
Smoky Grullo
12.50% -
Red (Chestnut/Sorrel)
12.50% -
Dunalino
12.50% -
Smoky Black
Her supposed due date is May 12. I would think the range of possible dates for foaling would lie between the end of this month and the first few days of June, depending on if she goes early or late. And this year, mares are all over the place time wise!

So give it your best guess- Colour, sex, date and time! I will start a chart on the sidebar as usual so you can see other people's guesses.  Winner will be sent an appropriate gift!


18 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Smokey Black filly May 17 :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh I forgot time 5 AM:)

Cricket said...

Smokey Grullo, Colt, May 13, 7:20 am

Janice said...

What is In her family history for color.

Shirley said...

Janice- her dam was a sorrel out of and by sorrels. Her sire was a red dun sired by a palomino and out of a sorrel, which tells me both him and his sire carried both the dun gene and the cream gene. Rosalee is registered as a red dun, but she obviously carries the cream gene for her palomino colour. AQHA does not have a "dunalino" option on their official colour list, so they are often registered as either red dun or as palomino. I could have her papers altered to put a note on their that she carries and expresses one copy of the cream gene, but I will leave that up to Shayla.
So what it gets down to is that Rosalee's heritage is all red horses. Sorrels, red duns, and palominos.

Linda said...

I would guess sorrel from what you’re saying so far. May 7th at 2:30 am.

I have a question for you, Cowgirl is a palomino with a buckskin dad and a sorrel dam. The stallion we’re using is a bay. Does that increase the possibility of a buckskin? I’m reading that it’s highest probability for bay or buckskin with this combo.

Linda said...

I don’t know if this helps at all, but my friend’s foal out of him was gray. That’s not a possibility with this combo though.

Shirley said...

With a bay and a palomino, you could get bay, sorrel, palomino, buckskin, or smokey black. Coyote Belle's dam Sundee was a smokey black as a result of a palomino dam and a bay sire. She is the horse in the background photo on my blog.

Shirley said...

Linda- colt or filly on your guess?

Rebecca said...

Red filly, May 10th 3am

Linda said...

Filly

Mrs Shoes said...

May 14, 3pm, palomino colt

Emma said...

Red dun filly, may 5th at 8.10 AM

14.1hands said...

Red filly, May 18 around 10:30 p.m. (my youngest daughter's birthday).

Betsy in WI said...

Grullo colt, May 4th (Star Wars Day!), 5 am

Betsy in WI

Crystal said...

Finally made it here :)
May 12, filly, palomino, 4 am

cdncowgirl said...

I'm guessing smokey black filly, May 14 1.30am

Betsy in WI said...

New guess?

May 11, all else the same. (Grullo colt, 5 am)