Monday, August 13, 2018

August - smoke and water


This morning's rather ominous sunrise.....

Our province is burning, again. There are hundreds of fires, some close enough to fill our valley with smoke. So far none close enough to be a threat to us, but a community 20 miles away is on evac alert for a fire that is about 10 miles the other side of them. 
The smoke is so thick here. It is laying on the ground and is limiting visibility. 

Image may contain: people standing, tree, sky, outdoor and nature
This is a view from downtown where normally you can look across the valley bottom and see the mountains on the other side- you can't even see the valley bottom!

However- I did get some riding in before it got bad. One ride down to the arena for some schooling, and a couple more trips to the river. Shayla wanted to try swimming her horse, and also using the river to work on the little swelling on her hock. This is her mare Rose.


It was a lot of fun! I had a saddle on Gussie so didn't go in very far.. The next time we went, Ted came with us, riding Gussie, and I rode Sassy. It has been years since Ted came riding with me on our own horses- a couple years ago we rode an outfitter friend's horses. This was the only way I could get him to come and check out the swimming hole, as you can't drive to it and no way he was going to walk to it!


I rode Sassy in fairly deep but she was reluctant to go deep enough to swim- and it had cooled off a lot from the day before when we were there.


We did get belly deep though!


Sassy was a good girl for me, nice quiet ride on a loose rein. She is quite brave even if she didn't want to go any deeper. 

No boots or hat in case I got to swim!

Gussie was a really good girl for Ted. I think he quite enjoyed himself even if he wouldn't admit it!


Ridin' the redheads!


The next day was when the smoke hit hard. So no more riding until it lightens up a bunch. Meanwhile, I'm getting evac kits together for the horses and for the household, even though we aren't expecting that to happen it doesn't hurt to be ready. There is no rain in the forecast for the rest of the month and anything can happen, it only takes one careless person or one lightning strike.

Riding day 50, 51 & 52

9 comments:

aurora said...

It's so awesome that Ted went riding with you guys! Way to go Ted!! He looks like a natural up there on Gussie. The photos from your trail ride are beautiful! I am sorry to hear wildfires are getting closer to you. I think you are smart to prepare for evac. Stay safe & keep us posted when you can.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Looks like fun! Love you gals on bareback! That is a great way to ride:) Hope you get rain for your fires, we have smoke here from Ontario again :(

lytha said...

Riding good horses: )

WendyFromNY said...

Looks like so much fun! My bucket list includes riding a horse on a beach, in the water. Will never happen! Is that hair extensions in Rose's tail? Is that something that is made for horses with short tails, or did Shayla jury rig it? Must be rough living in the shadow of forest fires, couple years back, we were breathing smoke from Canadian fires, all the way down here in central NY state. I hope you all stay safe.

Shirley said...

Wendy- that is a baling twine tail wrap. To protect the mare's long tail from breakage while swishing flies in the summer. Basically, braid the tail, make a
bailing twine extender by folding several layers of twine in half and leave a loop for the tail braid to go through (you can use another piece of twine or a piece of vet wrap to go around the twine so that it makes a loop) and stick the tail through it and fold the tail back upwards and secure with vet wrap. Works great for helping shorter tails to grow out too. Just make sure the braid is well below the tail bone, and that the vet wrap to secure it is also below the tail bone. I used it on Gussie when I first got her to help her tail grow out.

M said...

Looking good, sis! :) Glad you all had a good ride :)

Linda said...

A big fire started up in Kettle Falls while were with our kids up there. We saw the smoke plume and then the red sun. That was Saturday evening. It took three homes so far, and about 120 are threatened. When we got home to Spokane, the smoke had made it here and the visibility is terrible. It's pretty bad. Your ride photos have been fun to see. I am certainly jealous.

C-ingspots said...

So glad to hear you're getting prepared, just in case. Those fires are moving fast! We have had so much smoke in our valley for the past 7-10 days, but the last few have been intolerable - just like yours sounds. Add the heat in, and it's just miserable.

Your ride looks heavenly! Makes me really itchy to get on my horse - this summer just hasn't worked out for us. Too hot, too smokey and too many "have-to's" to ride.

I love that pic of you bareback - beautiful! And, I really love mares! :)

cdncowgirl said...

I don't know how you guys are dealing with that smoke, it's smokey enough here from the fires :(