Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Changes

The next ride was hauling Gussie and Rose to the arena. I enjoyed Gussie's newly calm lope, it felt like a rocking chair :0)
Then Shayla worked her on lead changes. And we stopped when she got one right even though it wasn't pretty. It isn't that she doesn't know how, it's getting her to change consistently when asked.


It wasn't a great lead change, but it was a good effort. Something to build from.
The next ride was a little trail ride around here, just chillin' with the roanie ponies. And then giving Shayla's dog Goose a li'l ride .

Image may contain: one or more people, people riding on horses, horse, tree, outdoor and nature

Gussie has finally got the weight on her that I wanted but that darn saddle still doesn't fit right. She has hollows behind her high wither so the saddle slides back which ends up putting the pommel too low over the wither. And yes, I do start with the leading edge of the bars sitting right behind the shoulder blades. I'd love to get it sold so I can start shopping for one that fits better.

Mesa is doing really well, and is finally filled out and growing. Currently she is just over 14 hh at the hip and just over 13 hh at the wither- definitely a growth spurt growing on. She is nearly 17 months old. She looks petite, but I think that's deceptive; I think she will be a solid built horse when she is all done growing.

I really, really need to get her sold.... because I think I have found what we are looking for in a colt.
Not posting pics yet because it isn't a done deal until we come up with the money; he will be co owned by Shayla and me- but here is the pedigree of his sire: 
And his dam: 
We really wanted a Driftwood / Sun Frost cross, because there isn't anything quite like that around these parts, and they are known to be good, versatile using horses for everything from barrels to roping to ranching- just good horses that aren't fad horses. I can't believe we found one within a few hours of here!
So please pray that we find the perfect home for Mesa, soon!

Riding day 69 & 70

3 comments:

Linda said...

That’s exciting. I didn’t know you were looking for a colt. What age is he?

Gussie sure is doing good for you. You have really put some trail miles on her this summer. Not too many horses would tolerate giving a dog a ride! 😂

I feel like a squirrel storing nuts away for the winter with my riding time. I’m getting out there every chance I get because the window is closing in. 😭 Looks like you’re doing the same. And Mesa probably needs to sell before winter hits. 🙏

aurora said...

With winter around the corner, it's a harder time of year to sell young horses. At least around here. Regardless, I have no doubt you will find Mesa a good home. A lot of people prefer smaller horses. I didn't know you were looking for a colt either. I've never heard of Sun Frost, but the Driftwood line sure seems desirable. Someday I'll spend time learning more about lineage...

Have you tried a pad made with extra padding for horses with high withers? Might save you from having to switch saddles. Ideally you would borrow one to try first (thats what we did) because they are pricey. Don't recall the brand, but I can find out if you are interested. It fixed the problem and worked much better then the semi-quarter bar saddle did. Just a thought.

Shirley said...

Aurora- I have tried several different pads, the one that works best is over $500! Not about to spend that on a pad as I really would like a different type of saddle. I want a cowhorse/versatility type.
Sunfrost is the sire of Frenchman's Guy and several other good speed horses, as well he was the sire of Skid Frost, a stallion owned my my mentor Walt Vermadahl; I owned a daughter and a granddaughter and they were both very good horses.